DSLR for under 1K?

thephotoroom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So black friday i went out to get a "good deal". Impulsively, I went out in the morning and put down a chunk of change, $850 on the Canon Rebel XS with 2 lenses (35mm and 200mm).
Ive never had a dslr before, just my A70 and a digital alph, I got the canon cause im familliar with navigating menu's and what not and i've always liked the brand.
Now however, im being bombarded with the sence that i'd not do my homework, and it seems that the Nikon D60 is everywhere i turn, no doubt more advertising dollars spent on the nikon.
I can easilly return the Canon and get something else.

WHAT DO YOU FOLKS RECOMEND?

This is definitly an entry level purchase, but who wants to buy a camera just to learn you need a different one.

THANK YOU!!!!!

XS and D60 are both so-called 'entry-level' cameras from Canon and Nikon respectively. They are both very capable cameras and the results you would get from both would be very similar (if you used similar lenses). It is really a matter of which one is easier for you to use (buttons layout, menus...). Go to a store, handle a D60 and XS and see which one you like better. I am sure other people will point out minute advantages of one over the other and will also point out that you should have done your homework before buying. Be prepared. ;)

I recommend you start shooting with and enjoying the camera you have. It's a fine camera.

After using it for a few years you will have a better understanding of what you want in a camera, and be able to better discern the extremely subtle differences between Canon and Nikon and any other brand, and whether or not those differences would have any practical advantage for your photography.

I agree with the above statements. I prefer Nikon, but it's mostly a familiarity with the buttons and menus, and a strong belief in the product's durability.

Personally, I would rather get an older body and spend the extra cash on lenses and lights. They make a much larger difference than the camera body!

thanks for the input, i cant wait to get behind the lense of either camera. ive wanted a digital slr for years now and finally had the chance to get one so i jumped on it. Im sure if i had the camera at home there would be no discusion. I paid for it on black friday, but they had to order it, so it will be in my hands tomorrow. but hey, i stumbled upon this website and there's no looking back now.

I agree with above comments. I happened to prefer the feel of my Canon to the similar Nikon when I bought it, but neither one runs circles around the other. If you got a good deal and you like the feel of the camera, enjoy it! Which specific lenses did you get -- that is probably the more important issue?

Most reactions

Back