DSLR Jargon

Clikon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What would be the best source for learning the terminology of photography and dSLR stuff. You know, like the terminology that's slung around here on TPF all the time. I tried Wikipedia, but didn't like it. It wasn't good enough for me, so I began to cry and sunk my face into my hands at my desk and messed up my hair. Eventually, I went and made another cup of coffee and forced myself to post this.

Thanks so much.

Whats jargon dont you know?

Like aperture and stuff?

It's quicker to tell you what I do know: Camera, shutter, flash.

I mean seriously, I don't even know what 55-200mm means.

What would be the best source for learning the terminology of photography and dSLR stuff. You know, like the terminology that's slung around here on TPF all the time. I tried Wikipedia, but didn't like it. It wasn't good enough for me, so I began to cry and sunk my face into my hands at my desk and messed up my hair. Eventually, I went and made another cup of coffee and forced myself to post this.

Thanks so much.

Use Wikipedia with caution. Anybody can update the information. They have a fairly sophisticated program that analyzes all entries but it's definitely imperfect.

I did a quick Google search for photography terms and this is one of the hits:
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/glossary/glossaryContents.shtml

Edit: I just saw your response to JimmyO and a dictionary won't help you with that. There are some questions that you need to post here. "55-200" is a zoom lens that can vary the focal length from 55mm to 200mm. Now, go to my link to look up "focal length."

Edit again: I went to the link and looked up "focal length." It gave the accurate "geek" answer with no explanatory comments regarding the effect it has on the picture. Try Google for photography terms and find some other links.

Actually, I would suggest you just stay here and read lots and more and more of the jargon will grow on you. For me, English is a foreign language, and all this photo lingo was very strange and all unknown, but I learnt it all right through TPF, too.

Click the link in my sig for DSLRs and Lenses 101. It's from a Canon forum, but it's basic info that's applicable to any DSLR and a good read. There's also a TON of great links about halfway down the first page of the "Understanding Exposure" link.

I've been meaning to get a lens focal length guide together in "real" beginner's English terms. it's one of the thigns I'd like to do that's on my list, but there always seems to be a dozen other things in front of it.

It wasn't good enough for me, so I began to cry and sunk my face into my hands at my desk and messed up my hair.

I don't know much about photography so I can't help you there, but I suggest that you use more hairspray. Two cans a day, at least.

Best,
Helen

I don't know much about photography so I can't help you there...
:lmao:
You know more than any six of us put together but, if you repeat this to anyone, I'll deny that I said it.

Oh Helen :lol: ... your advice is one of the best :biglaugh: !

Save your hair and go buy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206118990&sr=8-1

It was recommended to me and almost every other noob on this board. Once I got some of the basic terminology down from this, then the boards made much more sense.

After that, its read, read, read and practice, practice! I have 2 more books coming in this week!

Congrats on your new camera :) You will love it once you start understanding what all those buttons are for!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
:lmao: @ Helen too, and I agree with Socrates. :)

After that, its read, read, read and practice, practice! I have 2 more books coming in this week!

There is no way around it. I have to read. Slight problem, I can count the number of books i've read on one hand, maybe 2. I hate to read. Can anyone relate to this? I know this kind of information reflects poorly on me, but nevertheless it's the ugly truth. I guess the good side is that I tend to comprehend well.:er:

There is no way around it. I have to read. Slight problem, I can count the number of books i've read on one hand, maybe 2. I hate to read. Can anyone relate to this? I know this kind of information reflects poorly on me, but nevertheless it's the ugly truth. I guess the good side is that I tend to comprehend well.:er:

Well, I happen to like to read when I get the time, but I have always only read fictional books. Only recently have I bought all these books on photography so that all my other "light" reading books are collecting dust.

I guess for me, I feel that if I want to get good at photography, I know I have to understand it. If I don't understand it, not only will I not be good, but I will get frustrated as well (hence you pulling your hair out :lol:).

By the way, that book I recommended is a very easy read. I started it one afternoon and finished it the next morning. In fact, I plan to read it again now that I have a little more experience to see what little tips I can pick up that may have been beyond me the first time through...

I just saw your response to JimmyO and a dictionary won't help you with that. There are some questions that you need to post here. "55-200" is a zoom lens that can vary the focal length from 55mm to 200mm. Now, go to my link to look up "focal length."

Believe it or not, for the first time, I now sort of understand this. Proof: 200mm is the distance in millimeters from the image sensor's focal point to the optical center of the lens when it's focused on infinity...or something along those lines

Most reactions

New Topics

Back