DSLR Jargon

RIGHT HELEN :hail:

Save your hair and go buy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206118990&sr=8-1

It was recommended to me and almost every other noob on this board. Once I got some of the basic terminology down from this, then the boards made much more sense.

After that, its read, read, read and practice, practice! I have 2 more books coming in this week!

Congrats on your new camera :) You will love it once you start understanding what all those buttons are for!

Actually, I read this book recently because I heard so much about it. And I must say it is certainly a good book, but you do not learn much about the terminology and what things mean technically. But you do get good advice on how to get good exposures.

but for learning what a shutter does, what an aperture really is and all that, it is the wrong book IMHO.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
but you do not learn much about the terminology and what things mean technically.

i think that's what i'm after, what things mean technically, physically, mechanically and all that. i'll certainly read the book, though. it's so highly recommended, so i probably should.

The book that will help you most at understanding all aspects of photography from a beginning point of view is The New Manual of Photography, by John Hedgecoe:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Manual-Ph...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206143489&sr=1-1

You'll learn what a camera is, what parts are inside, how they work, how a lens works, what focal length is, how to choose the right focal length, and how to begin to see good pictures.

Highly recommended.

The book that will help you most at understanding all aspects of photography from a beginning point of view is The New Manual of Photography, by John Hedgecoe:
Highly recommended.

Cool. Thanks Matt!

I rate Michael Langford's Basic Photography quite highly as a solid foundation in photography. It's been a standard introductory text for many courses for many years.

Best,
Helen

I rate Michael Langford's Basic Photography quite highly as a solid foundation in photography. It's been a standard introductory text for many courses for many years.

Best,
Helen

OK Thanks Helen, but......I'm not sure I'm in a position currently to double the number of books i've read in my lifetime just to take a lousy picture. HAHAAA That's a JOKE! I'm excited...the 26th is coming soon.:lol:

Actually, I read this book recently because I heard so much about it. And I must say it is certainly a good book, but you do not learn much about the terminology and what things mean technically. But you do get good advice on how to get good exposures.

but for learning what a shutter does, what an aperture really is and all that, it is the wrong book IMHO.

Yes. I would agree with that and was thinking about that later. I am also lacking the actual technical side too, so the books mentioned a couple posts later will be good for me as well :)

One thing I said is true, READ, READ!

OK Thanks Helen, but......I'm not sure I'm in a position currently to double the number of books i've read in my lifetime just to take a lousy picture. HAHAAA That's a JOKE! I'm excited...the 26th is coming soon.:lol:

Funny :) Just like anything, if it's something you really want to do, you won't mind so much. Hey, in fact, you may not even realize you really read all those books months later :)

Most reactions

Back