DSLR Noob - Pics included for C & C

T.D90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
:blushing:

So I just picked up a Nikon D90 this week and have moved up from the ranks of the Point and Shoot world.

So far, I am loving the camera. I considered the D3000 for a while as a beginner but came to learn that that camera can come quite restrictive once you have gotten the gist of things. So rather then buy a kit with a standard 18-55 lens, I decided to go for the D90 as it was the best bang for the buck and a highly recommended intro camera from all photographers alike.

I bought the package that included the 18-105mm lens and also bought a 50mm f/1.8 lens. After playing with the 35 mm f/1.8 lens, Im thinking about trading the 50mm in :)

Anyhow, I joined as I am looking for techniques, tips and tricks. Im hoping to get out during this long weekend and snap some scenery.

Ive added a couple of Pics for some C & C. Aside from the blur on a license plate in one of the pics, these are my real shots - no photoshop here.

C & C Welcome - Cheers!

Hey, welcome to the forum.

Image #1 I can't figure out what the subject is. If it's car front end profiles it would be nice to see something more descriptive. Or bring the focus to the first car. The black car takes up most of the shot but the car in focus takes up much less.

Image #2 Has some nice lighting. Not the most interesting subject but I like the shot.

Image #3 Cute! A little on the dark side and other than the nice bokeh it is more snapshot than anything.

Check this out. It may help you out.

Rule Of Thirds

I'm curious why you're thinking about trading the 50mm in? That is always a useful lens to have around.

^ Im not sure - I just figured I wouldnt need a 35mm and a 50mm......but again, Im new to this whole thing :(

Jason, in image 1, I actually took 3 pics, with each pic focusing on each lined up car. I thought that the middle one turned out the best. There really is no interaction on this one....its just a series of Mistubishi Lancers all lined up and I was practicing toggling my focus points in the viewfinder.

The second pic was again, playing with my focus points again. The lights were there and I was snapping around.

Image 3 I took as a straight out of the box shot.......so it was just on the no flash mode.

I havent gotten out and tried my hand at photography (in a park, at the beach, random strangers etc) but Im hoping to do that this weekend.

And thanks for the link of the rule of Third. I read it and dont really get it at first glance but Im gonna read it again.

Thanks guys!

I like the first picture, dont really care for the new evo's looks but the stock lancers look a hell of a lot better and i think this is a nice picture of their fronts ... kinda got a harsh glare on them but i still like the over look

Lancer GTS owner checking in :p

The first shot reminds me of a shot from Fast and Furious lol. Something about the lighting and angle.

#2 is my favorite though, the bokeh, the focus, lighting, etc. Good job.

How do they hide that license plate from all the people that see that car in the town where the owner lives and drives it? ;)

I'd worry a lot more about someone local stealing it, than some TPF visitor that would have to travel a long distance to find it and then steal it.

But, that's just me.

^ The only reason I blurred it out was because I do not know the owner of that vehicle and I dont think they would appreciate finding a pic of their car with their plate on the net.

Was just trying to be courteous....:)

Thanks Geaux - I kind of enjoyed pic number 2 as well as an out of the box shot. I cant wait to pick up some tips and techniques and look back at these 3 photos (and the thousand in my pictures file) and see how far I have progressed.

Keep the C & C coming - and any photography tips and tricks are welcome! I bought one book, and two more are coming in - Im hoping they will help me with what I need to know

Most reactions

Back