DSLR Video - Newbie questions

WesternGuy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In the past few months, I have taken a few time lapse videos and this has gotten me interested in doing full-scale video. I have a 5D Mark IV as my potential video camera. Questions from me just starting out:
  1. Is there anything I need to know about the capability, or idiosyncrasies of the 5D IV as a video camera?
  2. I know, from my early research, that I will need a microphone for my camera, so my question is whether or not there are any recommendations on one to acquire. I am not into spending large $$ just starting out.
  3. Is there any other basic equipment that I should probably have, or think about having, "just starting out"?
  4. Is there a good book, or a good website that covers the kind of details that a beginner should know?
  5. Is there a "best" software app that I should have to process the videos. Again, nothing too expensive.

There are probably others, but these will, hopefully, serve as a starting point. Any insight that anyone would care to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

WesternGuy

Commenting so that I remember to respond later when I have more time.

Just rem that with DSLR you will only get 29 minutes 59 seconds of video at any one time.
I don’t do video but I got the video editing prog from adobe photoshop
Kit wise have a look at lens reviews , canon, sometimes they will say how good they are for video work,
Noise, hunting, and so on. I saw it in a review but as said I do stills so it passed over my head.
Battery there is a better battery out with that is better than the standard canon batt, again I looked but for what I do there would not have gained me much.
Hope this helps

Just rem that with DSLR you will only get 29 minutes 59 seconds of video at any one time. Yes, I am aware of this.
I don’t do video but I got the video editing prog from adobe photoshop - which one is this?
Kit wise have a look at lens reviews , canon, sometimes they will say how good they are for video work,- thanks
Noise, hunting, and so on. I saw it in a review but as said I do stills so it passed over my head. - thanks
Battery there is a better battery out with that is better than the standard canon batt, again I looked but for what I do there would not have gained me much.
Hope this helps
See my response/questions in blue. Thanks.

WesternGuy

Good I am pleased that you are aware of the time limit, many are not
I bought photoshop elements and I got the video editing software
Adobe premiere elements I think.
The lens are STM I think

If you are unhappy with the sound quality of your video camera, this selection of mics will be helpful. You can choose the one that suits your requirements best. There are some good budget options too

If you are unhappy with the sound quality of your video camera, this selection of mics will be helpful. You can choose the one that suits your requirements best. There are some good budget options too
Thanks. I have been through this process already and finally decided on the Deity V-Mic D3 Pro which meets my current requirements. Its description is here - V-Mic D3 Pro – Deity Microphones .

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back