dSLRs and water?

darkpbstar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok so I've posted before, and was wondering how a SLR will handle a rain drop or two. I'm not saying downpoor conditions, but say there's a cool bunch of clouds over head, or in the distance, and I really want the picture, but there is a chance it may rain suddenly, or if it is already "dripping" from the sky randomly. Any tips? Thanks alot!

You should be good, ive found even lower end DSLRs to be much tougher that i thought.

I shoot a Nikon D70s and often have to shoot in heavy snowfall. The seals must work great because ive never had a problem.

Sometimes I bring a grocery bag and a backpack with me when i shoot in rainy conditions, so if it starts to pour i can seal it up rather safely. If it DOES get wet, have a cloth handy ( i use a lens cloth) and soak up most of the water before you go pressing buttons because thats when you risk it getting inside the most.

JC

A plastic bag and shower caps are often used by photographers to avoid getting thier camera wet, but I prefer something like this: (UK and US company)
http://www.optech-online.co.uk/prdrainsleeve.htm

Because it not only covers the whole camera but also has a slot so you can see through the viewfinder with ease (don't go sticking your head in the plastic bag to get the effect!!)

I once got caught in the rainforests of Costa Rica without my camera bag. I did have a small plastic bag and a shower cap...but my camera still got completely soaked. It fogged up for a day or two...but it's still OK, a few years later. I probably got lucky and I don't recommend doing this yourself ;)....but it's good to know that they are pretty tough.

Get a large zip lock bag, cut a hole for the lens, put a rubber band around the bottom of the lens, and you are ready for a down pour. open the bag a little if you need to focus. Lens are not too sensitive to water- oh wait, auto every things might be.. Works for dusty or sandy conditions. I often do this at the beach.
Judge Sharpe

I've heard that the high-end Canon bodies, when used with L-series lenses, are supposed to be effectively watertight. Out of my budget, though...

most SLRs will do fine with a couple of water drops.

all i know is I cringe when I read the title of this thread...I go out of my way to not let water get on my leather car seats yet alone electronics.

I've heard that the high-end Canon bodies, when used with L-series lenses, are supposed to be effectively watertight. Out of my budget, though...

Yup.... I wouldn't suggest testing it out but my 24-105L on a 1d MII body survived a boat trip right next to Niagara Falls (Maid of the Mist). It was like being in the middle of a Hurricane... at some point I brought it under my rain coat for protection.

would like to meet the clever dude who decides to test if high end canons are water tight or not

I've seen photos taken by a Pentax K10D to test the 'weatherproofness' of them - A Number in heavy rain, and even one taken under a waterfall! Apparently the weathersealing is very good....

Can't say I'd do it personally, but I daresay someone has done it with the canons as well... I've certianly taken my K10D out in the rain - I did my best to keep it dry, but it was nice knowing I didn't need to panic too much if it did get damp.

Most reactions

Back