Dual screen for photoshop?

chris82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
shutterbugs.myfreeforum.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have heard how people use multiple screens for tasks like designing cars and for doing flight simulators! Is it possible to have a two screen set up for PhotoShop? For example could I have my old small LCD screen for viewing the pallet only while having my larger IPS screen for viewing only the images? It would be great if I could as this would mean I would be able so see a lot more of the image and on one screen with no distractions.

Yes, but it's more about if your computer supports multiple screens than the software.

Photoshop doesn't really care or even know how many screens you are using. Essentially how multiple screens work is that the programs consider them like 1 big screen. If you drag something off the screen to the right it "falls over" into the second screen. Your computer's graphics card is the thing that decides how many screens can be supported.

I have heard how people use multiple screens for tasks like designing cars and for doing flight simulators! Is it possible to have a two screen set up for PhotoShop? For example could I have my old small LCD screen for viewing the pallet only while having my larger IPS screen for viewing only the images? It would be great if I could as this would mean I would be able so see a lot more of the image and on one screen with no distractions.

Lightroom has a dual monitor configuration, but I dont think Photoshop has that option built in.

I have been using two screens for over 10 years now. Like it has been said above, most applications just see it as a very large desktop. I have one IPS and one TN panel. The IPS is what I use to view my pictures on and I do my work on the TN panel. This saves me money from buying two IPS panel and still gives me the real estate I need

Lightroom has a dual monitor configuration, but I dont think Photoshop has that option built in.

FWIW, with photoshop, you can just drag your tools or artboard to whichever monitor you want to use it on. I have done it many times.

That means that lightroom has a way to sort of optimize its experience for dual monitors. If the guy just wants his palettes on one screen and image on another, all he has to do is drag them there

If you can install the graphics card to drive two monitors, PS doesn't care... it just goes along for the ride. I have two monitors and I've made no adjustments to any of my programs to 'tell' them about two monitors.

What do you currently have? Does your computer have two monitor ports?

Great! So how much would a good graphics card set me back?

Most graphics cards can handle dual monitors as long as you have a place to plug the second monitor in, in the first place.

Well of course if you have dual monitors, you can put whatever you want on any monitor. I have had dual monitors for over 10 years. I understood the question to be if Photoshop had built dual monitor configuration, such as that in Lightroom. For those who are not aware, you can configure Lightroom for Dual Display (Window > Secondary Display). I have Photoshop CS6 and have found no such configurations.

Yes, in LR there is a little monitor icons on the lower left hand corner. Just click that and boom, the preview is on the 2nd monitor. It is great for cropping, it give you instant feed back once you select the area.

Also, I found that sharpening and noise reduction works quite well with it. Click a spot on the image in the 2nd monitor, it will preview that section in 100%, then I can made the adjustment and see the effect in 100% crop in the 2nd monitor and full image in the primary monitor. And it is all build-in in LR.

Here is a photo of my dual display, image editing workstation from a couple of years ago.

On the left is a TN type display, which is where I keep my desktop and Photoshop work pallets. Just to the right is an IPS display where the image I am editing is.
You can see my Wacom Intuos 4 Medium pen tablet, and 2 external hard drives (1TB each). The laptop is used standalone.

WrkStatn1-2-10_0028.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using two monitors for so long, I can barely stand to sit at a computer with only one monitor these days.

Most reactions

Back