Dumb Question, I'm sure.. :S

Carson38

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I have to ask. And bare with my cause I'm not even sure how to ask it :)

I've said before and I'll say it again just to clarify I'm a beginner and I will be taking classes this fall. But all my friends and family have been letting me practice by shooting all of them. (plus from my other thread I have a maternity shoot coming up) So I have some pictures that are done with editing and I'd like to get them to the owners. So here is my question(s) for all of you. (1) how do some of you give your photos to the people you shot? Were they on disc or did you have them already printed out. (2) here's the big question I really would like help with. From my camera to the computer to the print out..do I need to re size? Cause I'm not the brightest color crayon in the box but I do know that the pictures my camera takes are pretty big. and so if I go ahead and just print them as is, are they going to be distorted (pixel wise) and or cropped the way I don't want? :S So I hope you are still with me and haven't fallen to sleep...and that this made a bit of sense..?!! :lol: AND I hope that this was all for nothing and that it was just a stupid thing I made up in my mind....:lol:

Ok, well what about how you guys give people their pictures? Disc or print them out? or both..I need ideas

for people I just shoot for practice, I just email it to them.

CD-ROM usually, prints for more involved sessions.

If it's someone I like I give them a nice 8x10. If not, I'll put it on a flash drive and download to their computer, or burn em to disc. The problem with e-mail is some ISP's limit the size of files you can receive. If the person you're sending them to is only ever going to view it on their monitor, you can get away with small files. If they want to print it out, you have to make sure it's small enough that their ISP will let them receive it, but big enough they can get a satisfactory print, otherwise it gets kicked back to you. Multiple pics might require multiple e-mails.

Thanks guys!

So heres a question. If I crop my image to aspect ratio 5:4 which is for 8x10 does that mean that if I put those pictures on a disc for someone and they decide they want to print out a 4x6 picture will the image be the same?

whenever I have printed something i haven't croped it and have just told the printer what size to print it and it just makes the image smaller. If you want to pay for the prints. I would have them give you the money for the cost of the prints but you could use mpix to print them. mpix usually does a great job.

Yup someone else said it..usually for me I choose my favorite and print an 8x10 or 8x12 and then print out some 4x6's and/or give a cd.

Good luck with it!

Where ya taking classes BTW?

Yup someone else said it..usually for me I choose my favorite and print an 8x10 or 8x12 and then print out some 4x6's and/or give a cd.

Good luck with it!

Where ya taking classes BTW?

Thanks for the advice!

I'm going to be taking some classes at my local college.

Thanks HPvD!!!

That is an awesome idea! Thank you! :) :)

Thanks HPvD!!!

That is an awesome idea! Thank you! :) :)

That method is only economical if you are doing large quantities, of a small number of photos. A 64MB card is going to run you about $5, and you're only going to get about 6 pictures on it.

The companies that use those USB sticks are ording in bulk, by the hundreds, to get them at a cheaper rate... you are looking at having to buy 100 at a time... at $5 a pop, that's a check for $500. For the average mom and pop photographer, that just isn't economical.

If you drop down to individual or smaller qantities, you are looking at closer to $10 each...and you are still only getting about 5-15 pictures on it. Considering you can pick up a 50 pack of CD's for $20 ($0.40 each), and you can get about 70 pictures on a disk, it dosen't make much sense to go the USB route.

Most reactions

Back