Durability of canon rebel??

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is my question. I have a rebel xs and I also drive a semi for a living. I'm about to go back on the road in a day or so and wondered how much of a beating this camera will take. Picture driving an old 1975 pickup for an idea of the ride. Most of the time it is an ok ride but 1 out of 18 tires get worn a little off and it shakes. About 10 bumps a second With a bad tire. Pot holes are bad sometimes. Really I guess it's a shakey ride. I took my camera out with me last time for 1 month straight and no problems. I'm wondering for those who always transit their equipment like IS lenses if there is a problem with the durability with the equipment. I don't want to ruin a good lens or the body itself but I get to see some incredible things that I would like to start shooting. I spoke with someone a while back who used a xsi o a truck but lost contact. I do have a soft side bag wich will absorb some.

Hell, setting the bag on the passenger seat cushion ought to be good enough. Might want to strap it in with the seat belt though, in case you have to make a sudden stop.

I've had one for over 4 years now and it still works perfectly, and I put it to the test, trust me. The best thing you can do is get a good quality camera bag with lots of padding that holds the body and lens snug and keep it in there when not using. I use a lowepro backpack and it works great.

I hauled a bunch of SLR camera gear stowed in a couple of good camera bags stuffed under the bunk on an 18 wheeler for 8 years. No problem.

sounding good so far!
My bag holds everything pretty well. Its a tight fit for ewverything and incase im wrong i can keep a couple washcloths in there to hold it tighter.

A hammok is a great idea but there isnt enough room to hang it up. I train new people how to drive a truck so there is someone in the passenger seat. When they are sleeping tho i like to have it out ready to go when the time is right. (strapped in :)
4 years getting banged around is a good for a test! If you are to say trust you on putting it to the test lol ... ill have to.

These cameras are likely shipped in semi's so they go through a lot of that before you even buy it. I'm sure you'll be fine.

It's solid state, so it should handle bumpy roads fine. They haven't made Rebels with vacuum tubes for a couple of years now.

Cool everyone. I have it with me and heading to go get my new 2010 truck :).
To the comment about shipping them in a truck is true. But it's just maybe 800 miles to deliver. I drive 25,000 to 30,000 a month. Should be fine tho. I'm hopeing to get some pics out here when I have a little time.

wow you have a 2010 new rig? That's nice. I agree with the rest of the folks here. I think your camera will do just fine riding in your truck. A new 2010 air ride equipped? Just kidding

Most reactions

Back