Upgrade Advice?

Hwheeler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have a Canon T2i and am looking to upgrade, whether that be in lens or in camera body.

I really only take photos as a hobby, but I care enough to want my photos to look as professional as possible. However, I've had problems with getting sharp landscape photos... particularly of trees in the distance and clouds on the horizon.

I purchased a Canon EFS 15-85mm with Image Stabilizer a little over a year ago based on online reviews, thinking it would be an upgrade from the broken Tamron 17-50mm I had before. I do like that the Canon lens has a wider range, but I just don't like how my photos are turning out. The Tamron took sharp photos, so I'm considering going back to that and upgrading to the verison that has VC.

All that said, I'm also wondering if it's time I save up for a new camera body, but I have no idea what would be the best camera to aim for. Would the latest Rebel or version of the Rebel really be any better than my T2i? Or is there a better camera out there that would be a step up without breaking the bank?

Thank you in advance for any camera or lens recommendations!

Not sure which canon you have as here!in the UK, canon DSLR cameras have numbers such as 600d
60d and 6d the 6d being full frame the other two being crop sensor .generally speaking the less digest the higher the level
I would advise that you make notes of just what you want to do with your kit
You can use the EFS and EF lenses on a crop sensor body like the 600d &60d but you can not use the EFS lens on the full frame body like the 6d. The EFS lenses are designed for the crop sensor bodies

A used 5D classic is a pretty good imager for less than 300 Euro. Yes, it is older. But it's got a decent FF sensor.

Can you show us an example of a shot that has the issues you mention?

I just ask because although the 15-85mm is not the sharpest, it's decent. There can also be a bit more to getting landscapes sharp than just the lens. Heat haze, atmospheric moisture, wind, camera shake, even lighting can all play a part. So it'd be good to have a look and see if there's something we can spot that may help without forking out for a new lens. Sometimes just a bit of sharpening and contast in post is enough to get a shot acceptably sharp

Most Canon users go to the L series lenses for sharpness, I've got a 16-35mm f4 L IS that's really very, very sharp and is my go to landscape lens and it costs a little bit. Sometimes you may want to compromise a little sharpness for useability and get a wider focal range. Something like the Ziess Otis 28mm f1.4 is sharper, but it's manual focus and 5 grand. Schneider or Leica also make some wickedly sharp lenses but that's getting into some real speciality stuff.

if your shooting landscape with a tripod, the IS should be turned off. The computer is trying to compensate for movement and if solud actually causes movement in the lens blurring the image.

As for landscape, depending on the type, looking into a used prime or L series lens even for the T2i will do wonders.

Full frame is not a bad call and as previously mentioned, the 5D or even a 1Ds (warning..large camera) would also do the trick. But the real fucus (pun intended) should be on the glass.

Put the greatest portion of your upgrading budget towards top-quality lenses, which will easily last for 15-35 years.

Last edited:
Canon 135mm f/2 L is a lifetime-grade lens. For less money, the 100mm f 2 or the 100/2.8 macro, or the EF 85mm f/1.8 are all good choices.

__MG_2467_2012_LR reduced.JPG

f/4.5 @ 1/320 second, EOS 5D (12.8 MP)

This waterfall shot was made with the 100/2.8 macro I paid $260 for used back in 2006.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back