Waterhead sunset-2 copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

3. f/8 1/30 ISO 200

Waterhead sunset-3 copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

A few days ago after dawn:

Sony/Zeiss 16 - 35 f/4

MIsty Waterhead copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Misty Waterhead-2 copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

This morning at dawn:

Grabbed one shot before the mist descended...

Pentax 645Z FA 33 - 55

Waterhead dawn copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Waterhead dawn-3 copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

8. BW

bw Waterhead dawn-3 copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Waterhead dawn-2 copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Some nice stuff. The tranquility of the place comes through in all of these.

My goodness these are wonderful. Really like 1, 2, and 5!

Over-all I like most of these shots, however I do have a few comments/suggestions as well.

With the first few images, I'd watch your horizon line...you're almost splitting your images down the middle. If you had better calm water reflections, this might work, but I really don't think you have enough reflections in the water...personally I'd trim a fair bit off the water and follow the rule of thirds on those. In other words, #1 isn't too bad, but I think #2 works a lot better than #3.

Also, and while this is more of a taste thing, I just don't like the alternates on #'s 5 and 8. I think all the added blues on #5 just detract from the image...to me at least, that blue cast really needs some clean up. From a composition view, I do prefer the placement of the Miss Lakeland II in that shot, however color-wise, I really prefer #4. Likewise, I just don't think the b&w on #8 really adds anything to the image at all. I will admit that I am a great lover of color to begin with, however I tend to find that a lot of people convert to b&w (or shoot in b&w) for the wrong reasons. If there were a specific reason for this...say to convey a sense of nostalgia, then it might be more appropriate, however I just don't feel that the sense of contrast alone warrants the use of b&w in this image.

I do very much like #9...the background left especially has an almost ethereal quality to it that I really enjoy. The one little nit I have on this picture is the little cyan box to the lower right just behind the building...looks like the same object seen in the lower center of #7. Not sure exactly what that is, but personally I feel it detracts from the otherwise timeless quality of the image. This is just me, but I'd honestly take a minute or two and clone that little bugger out of there.

Again over-all I think these are nicely done...mostly just some nitpicks here and there more than anything.

Just my own $.02 worth.

Most reactions

Back