DXO One Camera-phone thingie?

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone seen the ads for the new dxo One? Here's a review: DxO ONE Review: Hands-On Preview

What do you think? f1.8 lens and a 1" sensor in a 4oz package. Is it 'better enough' than an iphone to justify the $600 price tag?

I think that's the first object that proudly proclaims where it was designed. Not manufactured, necessarily, but DESIGNED. Well, if something has been designed in two of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world; Paris and SanFrancisco, then surely it has got to be boffo.

Problems I have: Fixed focal length lens, no BI viewfinder, no standard hotshoe, and limited to only Apple devices.

How hard would it be to provide this thing with an optical zoom lens, a flip-out screen, and a hotshoe? Then it would be a camera without a phone.

And overpriced.

Seems a bit spendy, but it does look a bit cool...

It looks neat. I've received a couple of e-mails from the about it, and have watched their video and looked at a couple articles on it on the web. The price is too high for me, but I do like the engineering and the break-proof engineering designed not to damage the device or the iPhone's port in the event of mishaps. 20 megapixel resolution on a 1-inch sensor would be really nice for a phone photographer, and the iPhone is already one of the world's defacto standards as far as operating system, port, interface, etc.. so I can see why they went with the device designed around ONE, SINGLE, unified platform instead of for multiple other types of phones from multiple manufacturers. And of course, there are a lot of iPhone users who are geeky and gear-headish, and will like this as an accessory and a cool-factor statement. But still...I'm not really convinced that this device will be successful; the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus already have good cameras and shoot good video, and they are small and compact whenever the phone is unencumbered; this thing just adds bulk and weight and adds another step.

Would love to play with one, if anybody wants to mail me one....

Most reactions

Back