dynamic range & why you should shoot RAW

molsen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Original blog post

The Nikon D90 has very impressive dynamic range!

This before and after comparison of a very contrasty scene shows the amount of information the D90’s sensor was able to capture and keep in its RAW files. Check out all of the detail and color that I was able to recover in both the highlights and shadows that weren’t at all visible in the original, using Photoshop’s Shadows/Highlights adjustment tool. I could have easily pushed this image more. This is why I shoot RAW; this would not have been remotely possible with a JPEG out of the camera.

5073613848_d202aa0c1e_o.jpg

Original blog post

The Nikon D90 has very impressive dynamic range!

This before and after comparison of a very contrasty scene shows the amount of information the D90’s sensor was able to capture and keep in its RAW files. Check out all of the detail and color that I was able to recover in both the highlights and shadows that weren’t at all visible in the original, using Photoshop’s Shadows/Highlights adjustment tool. I could have easily pushed this image more. This is why I shoot RAW; this would not have been remotely possible with a JPEG out of the camera.

5073613848_d202aa0c1e_o.jpg

yep, it's pretty awesome. If your setting are correct, JPEG can be great as well. I usually shoot Jpeg+RAW, that way I can fine tune the pics that I'm not satisfied with jpeg output.

Yep, couldn't agree more. I accidently had my ISO pumped up to 1600 from yesterday's shots and got this pic:

w96td8

It was shot as a RAW file and didn't get deleted. I was able to get it to this:
ljsmx3

Not an incredible image, by any means, but certainly shows the benefits of RAW and shooting to the right of the histogram.

Yep, couldn't agree more. I accidently had my ISO pumped up to 1600 from yesterday's shots and got this pic:

w96td8

It was shot as a RAW file and didn't get deleted. I was able to get it to this:
ljsmx3

Not an incredible image, by any means, but certainly shows the benefits of RAW and shooting to the right of the histogram.

good example:thumbup:. I was able to save quite a few pictures that I originally thought I'd trash. 14-bit RAW is the BEST!

Most reactions

Back