Dz anyone carry 'protection' when out shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hah, if a criminal comes and does what he does, let him and convict him, from my observation skills these days in north america sueing seems to be the new thing. I mean the robber can go into a persons house go upstairs fall down them and sue the person for unsafe stairs. Come on people.

I will be ordering a retractable non-lethal steel baton just incase.

Just in case what? Someone decides to strong arm you with a chopstick? I have a family and the right to defend them by any means necessary. My gun is on my hip from the time I wake up (ok... scratch that... i'm in my boxers feeding the baby... ) from the time I put pants on till I take them off at night.

Even at home, I'll have my little Skyy 9mm on me. It's small enough that it doesn't get in the way. With the ever growing popularity of home invasion robberies, i just feel better having it.

Here in Pennsylvania, we can get a CCL just by sending in an application to the sheriff's office. I live on the Ohio line and in order for me to CC their I have to get a CCL from them. I haven't done it (you have to take a class) so I unload when crossing the line.
Please, you are being excessively paranoid. If you are that unsafe move. Common safe practices like locking your doors or getting a dog will keep you safer than that gun on your hip, unless you live in North Philly or something. However, I respect your right to have one and maybe it will help you protect your family. I just think in most cases its not needed. If you live in remote area, then I understand. Lack of public, police etc etc, would make me want protection as well.

Also, you clearly have never been hit with a baton. It has reach and can beat a knife wielding person easily. its easy to carry and conceal also. Now if the other guy has a gun, you are screwed, but then again, if you both have a gun someones gonna die, and I dont like thise odds so its probably best to duck and run.

-38 percent of assaults and 60 percent of rapes occur during home invasions

-One in five homes undergoes a home invasion or break-in

-There are more than 8,000 home invasions every day in North America

-50 percent of home invasions involve the use of a weapon; the most common weapons used are knives or other cutting instruments

-In 48 percent of home invasions, victims sustain physical injuries

-Victims age 60 or older make up 17 percent of home invasion victims

-In 68 percent of home invasions, victims and the accused are strangers; in 11 percent of these cases, victims and the accused are friends, business associates, or family

How many new people do Photographers meet every day and say "Here's my card".

I'm not the least bit paranoid... I have a gun! :mrgreen:

Statistics taken from (http://www.superhomesecurity.com/learn/home-invasion)

Hah, if a criminal comes and does what he does, let him and convict him, from my observation skills these days in north america sueing seems to be the new thing. I mean the robber can go into a persons house go upstairs fall down them and sue the person for unsafe stairs. Come on people.

What if his intent is to rape/kill? A lot of good convicting him is going to do you then.

What if his intent is to rape/kill? A lot of good convicting him is going to do you then.

Yes it will. If he is charged and convicted of this, this person will face charges that he won't even be able to serve in a lifetime.

As long as you have an unrestricted pistol permit (what they call a concealed carry permit here in NY), and have the proper training and experience, I give 100% support for carrying a gun at any time. It's the people without permits and the criminals that cause problems. It's the people with permits who stop criminals.

And in the 1 in 1000 chance you find yourself in a situation like Ottor, you're ready. Dogs are at best unpredictable. They'll get mean to a stranger for no apparent reason. Even the most gentle, friendly dogs I've known.

You have to know how and when to use a gun in order for it to be effective safety for anyone.

I was completely against guns (my dad got shot) until I married my husband. We now have 2 pistols in the house and a shotgun. I've never had to "whip it out", but I sometimes DO feel safer just knowing that it's there.

I'm all for (and understand) people not wanting to have them around. After all, that was me once upon a time. I'm all for people who put them on before they pull up their man pants. And I'm all for people who just want to have them around. To each their own.

But as Denny said, if you've got it, you should know how and when to use it.

I carry a 15 inch machete in case I find myself in the middle of a zombie invasion..

Yes it will. If he is charged and convicted of this, this person will face charges that he won't even be able to serve in a lifetime.
Let's be very clear about this- you would rather someone stand idly by and allow someone to attack you or your spouse, or your child instead of drawing a legal pistol on them, shooting, and stopping their attack?

And what about you? What are you going to do if your dead?

Thank you Denny and AJ... obviously arguing with him isn't going to get either of us anywhere though.

I absolutely respect everybody’s opinion on guns vs ‘not’guns … but to keep this thread from getting closed, let’s keep away from a ‘gun debate’ – you’re certainly not going to change anybody’s mind about the issue, and it’s a sure way to get this pulled and closed..

I just wanted to know if anyone else had a weapon with them when they go out shooting.. What I didn’t consider is the demographics of our group… not everyone lives in a city that’s in an isolated area like I do.. and I should have expected a complete different response from someone living in NYC apartment.. sorry for not thinking before posting .. Just thought it was a story worth sharing, and it certainly is photography related, as it was only a coincidence that I was GeoCaching instead of shooting pics, which I do more often than not in that area..

People who live in our type of community need to fear more than just the ‘deliverence’ type’s in the world – the prettier the country gets, the more the Bears like it too… :mrgreen:

You have a CCW or the equivalent in your state? What state? Here in California there is no way you can carry a gun, which few exceptions.

I live in Idaho - pretty much all you need to do is apply. You do have to take a firearms course, - or - display proficency with a firearm - I'm a former Special Forces Sgt, and former Law Enforcement, so all I had to do was verify that, go thru a background investigation to ensure no prior violent history, and it's good for 6 years..

Same for Ohio. Without a military background you have to take a CCW class (usually costs around $100. I have a ton of former military friends that teach them) and then just apply (license costs around $50). For military background you just apply and show them the military ID and they give you a license. Pretty simple.

Ours is good for 7 years though. I definitely carry at all times when out of the house. Can't wait until the "liquor law" goes into effect so I can carry in liquor-serving establishments without worry. The Air Force doesn't like when their people accrue felonies =P

Kel-Tek 9mm, but only in my vehicle (I don't do a lot of wandering around alone) and I don't have a concealed weapon permit.

My husband (a former police officer), current federal officer is encouraging me to get a concealed weapon permit, although honestly, I don't often remember to take the thing out of the house.

There were several times when he was a cop (in a very small town) and I felt like I needed it in my house late at night, etc. I was a cops wife for goodness sakes and at home late at night by myself with two kids left me feeling quite vulnerable to those that he's arrested or their "dawgs". I don't often feel that way anymore...

I usually advise anyone with a firearm to get their concealed carry permit. Why? Just to relax the rules on where/when/how you can carry it around. I've known people that have gotten busted by the cops transporting their gun *TO* their car from their house (in their own driveway) because they didn't have a license to carry it concealed and loaded.

And being pulled over if they search and find that the magazine(s) and firearm are "connectable" from the passenger cabin they will arrest you. Getting a CCW just makes things easier.

Let's be very clear about this- you would rather someone stand idly by and allow someone to attack you or your spouse, or your child instead of drawing a legal pistol on them, shooting, and stopping their attack?

Sorry the country I live in doesn't allow this. No I would not stand by I would use my hands not a weapon i can get charged with.

owned-1602.jpg

I will be ordering a retractable non-lethal steel baton just incase.

Just in case what? Someone decides to strong arm you with a chopstick? I have a family and the right to defend them by any means necessary. My gun is on my hip from the time I wake up (ok... scratch that... i'm in my boxers feeding the baby... ) from the time I put pants on till I take them off at night.

Even at home, I'll have my little Skyy 9mm on me. It's small enough that it doesn't get in the way. With the ever growing popularity of home invasion robberies, i just feel better having it.

Here in Pennsylvania, we can get a CCL just by sending in an application to the sheriff's office. I live on the Ohio line and in order for me to CC their I have to get a CCL from them. I haven't done it (you have to take a class) so I unload when crossing the line.
Please, you are being excessively paranoid. If you are that unsafe move. Common safe practices like locking your doors or getting a dog will keep you safer than that gun on your hip, unless you live in North Philly or something. However, I respect your right to have one and maybe it will help you protect your family. I just think in most cases its not needed. If you live in remote area, then I understand. Lack of public, police etc etc, would make me want protection as well.

Also, you clearly have never been hit with a baton. It has reach and can beat a knife wielding person easily. its easy to carry and conceal also. Now if the other guy has a gun, you are screwed, but then again, if you both have a gun someones gonna die, and I dont like thise odds so its probably best to duck and run.

For someone that "doesn't mean to start a debate" you sure are trying pretty hard...

As someone who is *ACTIVE* in the military and knows how to defend himself (and as a 6'3" fit man it's usually assumed anyway) I still wouldn't leave my house without a gun. The best gun is one that you never have to use. You're assuming that as soon as there's a problem or confrontation that some wahoo is going to just discharge his firearm for the hell of it.

Fact: Of all gun crimes in the United States, only 0.03% of them are committed by people with firearm permits. Stores that do not permit firearms on average have a 500% higher chance of gun crime than stores that *do* allow them. A gun can be the *best* deterrent, or it could be the thing that sparks incident. The intelligent man is the one that understands when it's necessary and when it's not.

And I can promise you that a baton is *NOT* going to deter most people like a firearm. If a person is planning on robbing you or hurting you...you breaking out a baton isn't going to phase them. *ESPECIALLY* if that person is high on some kind of drug...and if that's true, even hitting them won't phase them.

Granted, most of it is because of my military training...but if I have one of my Gerber knives and you have a police baton...you're not going to win. Don't just assume because you have a big stick you can defend yourself efficiently. I understand that you don't see the need for firearms, but you should also understand that not everyone sees the world with rose-colored glasses like you seem to. With some criminals, nothing aside from a round to the chest will stop them.

I've seen people get shot 5+ times, beat to hell with batons, and still proceed to kill a cop because they deemed him "safe". I watched a man strangle a cop to the point of death after being shot twice in the back and had his leg broken with a baton. I've known of crackheads that get hit by a cop car at 40mph or more, shot, and then run away like nothing happened.

You really think you and your stick are going to stop one of those people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back