Dz anyone carry 'protection' when out shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in AZ you dont need a permit to carry or to conceal. I however, hate guns and don't want one in my house. I wouldnt mind having a small handgun when out, but the odds of needing it arr slim, its more of a domestic safety issue. Besides, nowadays if you shoot a guy stealing your camera, you end up in prison. Alot of people THINK they know what self defense means, but they dont. With that said, I will be ordering a retractable non-lethal steel baton just incase.

Non-lethal baton? Batons and pistols both are non-lethal if you dont use them! But both can be and are lethal.

*sigh*
Must everything be a debate on here? A gun is considered lethal force. Unless you are shooting nonlethal ammo. Guns are designed and intended to kill, if not, people would buy rubber bullets instead of hollow tip. Lets not kid ourselves. A batton is less likely to mame or kill someone, and gives the user much more control and discretion of force. If you put a bullet in a stray dog, odds are, his days are done. You hit him with a batton, and hes most likely going to leave you alone and be sore for a while.

I will also add, if I was shooting in grizzly country, I surely would bring a gun and not a batton.

Sorry,my intent was not a debate. People need to understand that its the person using the weapon that makes them dangerous not the actual weapon. So its just funny to me that when a steel batton is phrased as non-lethal people tend to be more accepting of it. When in fact they are very lethal. To each his own!

So what did the chick w/ the dogs do then? Did she just walk off w/ her dogs on a leash and yell have a great day?
Did you at least report the incident to anyone? Get her name? These dogs could of already had a history of aggressive behavior. If it would of been someone else out there that day, they would be dead.
:hug:: And I'm glad you are alright Otto!!

I carry a 3 inch switchblade on me a ALL times. Regardless of how much photo equipment I have.

I'll cut a ***** if they cross me. (Not really, but I did almost have to stab someone last month).

Eeep! What happened?

When traveling, ALWAYS. I'll keep at least 2 guns with me (usually the 9mm and the .38) When out shooting... not so much. Even though i live in a hectic City and probably *should* I don't usually; I keep a 4 inch Blade in my purse though for *just in case*.

Non-lethal baton? Batons and pistols both are non-lethal if you dont use them! But both can be and are lethal.

*sigh*
Must everything be a debate on here? A gun is considered lethal force. Unless you are shooting nonlethal ammo. Guns are designed and intended to kill, if not, people would buy rubber bullets instead of hollow tip. Lets not kid ourselves. A batton is less likely to mame or kill someone, and gives the user much more control and discretion of force. If you put a bullet in a stray dog, odds are, his days are done. You hit him with a batton, and hes most likely going to leave you alone and be sore for a while.

I will also add, if I was shooting in grizzly country, I surely would bring a gun and not a batton.

Sorry,my intent was not a debate. People need to understand that its the person using the weapon that makes them dangerous not the actual weapon. So its just funny to me that when a steel batton is phrased as non-lethal people tend to be more accepting of it. When in fact they are very lethal. To each his own!

A soup can lid is lethal in prison, as are plastic utensils, toothbrushes etc etc. I get your point, but in reality, in the heat of a situation, you do not have as much dynamic of control with a gun as you do a baton. Unless you pistol whip them. Also, there isnt as much of a degree to the type of wound a bullet inflicts aside from grazing something. A baton can hit, can choke, and can ward off without an actual strike. This isnt the movies, you cant shoot the ground and yell "dance" I applaud Otter for his retraint, but he was lucky that he was in a wide open area. That bullet you use to deter may wind up in 5 year old timmys head a block away where is getting off the school bus. Guns arent toys or deterrants, they are lethal. When I was growing up, there was a guy robbing a jewelery store in the mall. He shot at security in one direction....the bullet or frwgments of the bullet ended up in a little girl at the other end of the mall in a completely different direction. She died while school clothes shopping. I just dont want every dirty Harry that can operate a shutter, to think its a good idea to walk around strappin. You may save your $1000 camera but you may take someones life.

As long as you have an unrestricted pistol permit (what they call a concealed carry permit here in NY), and have the proper training and experience, I give 100% support for carrying a gun at any time. It's the people without permits and the criminals that cause problems. It's the people with permits who stop criminals.

And in the 1 in 1000 chance you find yourself in a situation like Ottor, you're ready. Dogs are at best unpredictable. They'll get mean to a stranger for no apparent reason. Even the most gentle, friendly dogs I've known.

So what did the chick w/ the dogs do then? Did she just walk off w/ her dogs on a leash and yell have a great day?
Did you at least report the incident to anyone? Get her name? These dogs could of already had a history of aggressive behavior. If it would of been someone else out there that day, they would be dead.
:hug:: And I'm glad you are alright Otto!!

She was very apologetic -sz they like to run off the leash and the only place she feels safe with them just running is in an isolated area... I reminded her that very few places these days are truely 'isolated', and if they're that aggressive, she'd better drive a few more miles out of town before she 'unleashes' again....

She thanked me for not killing them - I absolutely love dogs .. but I absolutely love my body parts more.. Something set these two off, and since we can't determine what it was, it may happen again.. I think she got a scare also - perhaps learned something... For her dogs sake, I hope so..

I will be ordering a retractable non-lethal steel baton just incase.

Just in case what? Someone decides to strong arm you with a chopstick? I have a family and the right to defend them by any means necessary. My gun is on my hip from the time I wake up (ok... scratch that... i'm in my boxers feeding the baby... ) from the time I put pants on till I take them off at night.

Even at home, I'll have my little Skyy 9mm on me. It's small enough that it doesn't get in the way. With the ever growing popularity of home invasion robberies, i just feel better having it.

Here in Pennsylvania, we can get a CCL just by sending in an application to the sheriff's office. I live on the Ohio line and in order for me to CC their I have to get a CCL from them. I haven't done it (you have to take a class) so I unload when crossing the line.

Man in my state buying a gun is like buying a soda. You dont' even need a permit. I was thining of getting one but w/ my temper I stay out of it. Not to mention a few years back one of my close family friend like a young bro died, shooting himself in the head so I get a weird feelings bout it. I was thinking of getting stun guns instead

i do i carry a snub nose 38 spcl or my 380 colt pocketlite i like to shoot in ware house area perfect place for homless/ crack head theifs

I will be ordering a retractable non-lethal steel baton just incase.

Just in case what? Someone decides to strong arm you with a chopstick? I have a family and the right to defend them by any means necessary. My gun is on my hip from the time I wake up (ok... scratch that... i'm in my boxers feeding the baby... ) from the time I put pants on till I take them off at night.

Even at home, I'll have my little Skyy 9mm on me. It's small enough that it doesn't get in the way. With the ever growing popularity of home invasion robberies, i just feel better having it.

Here in Pennsylvania, we can get a CCL just by sending in an application to the sheriff's office. I live on the Ohio line and in order for me to CC their I have to get a CCL from them. I haven't done it (you have to take a class) so I unload when crossing the line.
Please, you are being excessively paranoid. If you are that unsafe move. Common safe practices like locking your doors or getting a dog will keep you safer than that gun on your hip, unless you live in North Philly or something. However, I respect your right to have one and maybe it will help you protect your family. I just think in most cases its not needed. If you live in remote area, then I understand. Lack of public, police etc etc, would make me want protection as well.

Also, you clearly have never been hit with a baton. It has reach and can beat a knife wielding person easily. its easy to carry and conceal also. Now if the other guy has a gun, you are screwed, but then again, if you both have a gun someones gonna die, and I dont like thise odds so its probably best to duck and run.

here you have to jump threw hoops to get a gun classes for concelaed carry and then back ground checks and such for purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back