Dz anyone carry 'protection' when out shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this question in another forum I use, and most of the responses were that they were insured and would just give the bad guy the equipment - no need for any defense ... The equipment isn't the issue..

I'm also insured. It's not losing my gear to a thief, but it's what that thief will do to get it. As I said, my friend was beat pretty good, which was unnecessary for the perp to do - Adrian was no match for this guy one on one, and there was no need to bang him around just to get his gear, but he did. There are 'bad' people out there - and there's no sense in being a victim.

I'm 64, and a former Special Forces Sgt. (Viet Nam era) I dont' fear 'most' people, but having the opportunity to save my life as well as the lives of others if needed is a simple thing. Carrying is a fairly normal feeling for myself, and in this case, it saved me some serious injury - those dogs announced their intentions from quite a distance, and offering to give them my camera equipment without any violence certainly would have had no effect.

I don't propose having a sidearm on your hip while you're shooting a wedding by any means, but when you're out there in an isolated area by yourself (which is how I mostly go out) anything can happen.

Sounds like this group spends as much on their guns as their cameras with the Sigs, Kimbers and Glocks. I too, have a CCW permit and occasionally tote my Sig 226 when I'm out doing landscapes in remote regions. Otherwise, it generally tends to stay in the glove box in my car. I can't say that I've ever really had the need for it, but it sure feels nice to have it when you're trudging around in remote "Deliverance" type regions.

<-- M9
I like dogs but those would have been dead dogs. No second chances for me. My wife works at a childrens hospital and there is always kids in there getting torn apart from dogs like these. She really should of had those dogs on a leash. Good to hear you were ok though could off been real bad with out the pistol.

Here in canada, we can carry hunting rifles :lmao:. If i had the rights to do it id probably keep one in my bag

Over here law abiding adults are allowed to carry zero, if you defend yourself, beat your attacker, you will be taken to court for assault, fined,imprisoned and basically have the book thrown at you, your attacker then has the "right" to criminal injuries compensation, which your obliged to pay. Anyone want to live in human rights Europe. Oh, and it happens all the time, this country is ****ed with a capital F.

Kel-Tek 9mm, but only in my vehicle (I don't do a lot of wandering around alone) and I don't have a concealed weapon permit.

My husband (a former police officer), current federal officer is encouraging me to get a concealed weapon permit, although honestly, I don't often remember to take the thing out of the house.

There were several times when he was a cop (in a very small town) and I felt like I needed it in my house late at night, etc. I was a cops wife for goodness sakes and at home late at night by myself with two kids left me feeling quite vulnerable to those that he's arrested or their "dawgs". I don't often feel that way anymore...

Thumbs up Otto for warning shots first :)
Sadly even well trained dog can become very different animals when put into a pack mentality within a group - I can also sympathise with people that don't want their dog on the leash all the time we have a husky and it would be great to let her off the leash and have a run - downside is we know she wouldn't be back for hours if we did ;)

Over here law abiding adults are allowed to carry zero, if you defend yourself, beat your attacker, you will be taken to court for assault, fined,imprisoned and basically have the book thrown at you, your attacker then has the "right" to criminal injuries compensation, which your obliged to pay. Anyone want to live in human rights Europe. Oh, and it happens all the time, this country is ****ed with a capital F.

Yah we do have a bit of problem with the law swinging the wrong way - course its not always the case, but it happens enough and gets into the media spotlight enough to make the honest person worried enough about it.

Of course its always good to remember that its not enough to carry a weapon (of any kind) its having the skill and mindset to use it that is key - otherwise it can just as easily turn into the worst thing to have (eg most knifeblade wound are caused by the persons own knife)

Here in AZ you dont need a permit to carry or to conceal. I however, hate guns and don't want one in my house. I wouldnt mind having a small handgun when out, but the odds of needing it arr slim, its more of a domestic safety issue. Besides, nowadays if you shoot a guy stealing your camera, you end up in prison. Alot of people THINK they know what self defense means, but they dont. With that said, I will be ordering a retractable non-lethal steel baton just incase.

like bruce i carry a glock19

Here in AZ you dont need a permit to carry or to conceal. I however, hate guns and don't want one in my house. I wouldnt mind having a small handgun when out, but the odds of needing it arr slim, its more of a domestic safety issue. Besides, nowadays if you shoot a guy stealing your camera, you end up in prison. Alot of people THINK they know what self defense means, but they dont. With that said, I will be ordering a retractable non-lethal steel baton just incase.

Non-lethal baton? Batons and pistols both are non-lethal if you dont use them! But both can be and are lethal.

I used to carry pretty much everywhere. Then I realized that the area I live in isn't dangerous at all really.

Springfield 1911 A1, and I just received my lifetime CCW a couple of days ago. I carry a firearm very little; I just don't have a need for it here. This area is fairly safe and I tend to stay away from the areas of town that are unsafe.

Non-lethal baton? Batons and pistols both are non-lethal if you dont use them! But both can be and are lethal.

*sigh*
Must everything be a debate on here? A gun is considered lethal force. Unless you are shooting nonlethal ammo. Guns are designed and intended to kill, if not, people would buy rubber bullets instead of hollow tip. Lets not kid ourselves. A batton is less likely to mame or kill someone, and gives the user much more control and discretion of force. If you put a bullet in a stray dog, odds are, his days are done. You hit him with a batton, and hes most likely going to leave you alone and be sore for a while.

I will also add, if I was shooting in grizzly country, I surely would bring a gun and not a batton.

Here in canada, we can carry hunting rifles :lmao:. If i had the rights to do it id probably keep one in my bag

Hah okay I thought i'd be the only Canadian PR to comment on this one. LOL
Yeah here we don't have those laws if somebody comes up and tries to jack up your rig you just give them a pop and see where it goes, almost always you will go get your buddies and find the dude and he will always give it back. Really depending on where you reside.

Also on a side note I guess. Good for the Op to fire warning shots and not kill one of those rotties, I know they're vicious animals my buddy used to have one, sometimes we just brought him along instead of a glock or what-have-you. I have my opinions about certain laws but won't get into that, especially not here, wrong place wrong setting for that. Yeah I would probably carry one on me if I was in the OP's situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back