E-books and iPhones etc.

Amazon classics free ebooks: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Popular Classics: Kindle Store

Internet Archive: Free Books : Download & Streaming : Ebook and Texts Archive : Internet Archive

Open Library Welcome to Open Library (Open Library)

Project Gutenberg Project Gutenberg - free ebooks

ManyBooks.net ManyBooks.net - Ad-free eBooks for your iPad, Kindle, or eBook reader

arthursbookshelf Arthur's Bookshelf
contains a range of books in various formats (ePUB, PDF and mobi)

That should get you started :) Also check out
calibre - Download calibre
I use it to convert most of the text documents (which the e-reader reads anyway) into ebooks - adding in the title, author and a few other details for helping with searching/organising (when I get a series I tend to put the series number of the book into the title - eg Lord of the Rings (book 1) etc..). It also detects a connected Kindle to a computer so you can use the program to upload books easily.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I am a member of Amazon Prime also, what do you need to know?
I'm just wondering is it worth it? For $79 a year, you get many books cheaper or free and you can borrow books. What is the deal with borrowing books? You get it free, not forever...and only one at a time? And what is the selection of borrowable books like? I doubt it's the latest best sellers is it?

I'm just wondering is it worth it? For $79 a year, you get many books cheaper or free and you can borrow books. What is the deal with borrowing books? You get it free, not forever...and only one at a time? And what is the selection of borrowable books like? I doubt it's the latest best sellers is it?

​You are correct typically they are not the latest books that are available. If you see a Prime logo it can be borrowed. You can have one out at a time and there are not due dates (as long as you are a prime member). You are limited to one book per month, typically though that’s a good time for most users.

Where we get our value on Amazon Prime is with free shipping. Those things you used to go out to the store for like shoelaces, filters, bulk goods I now just order through Amazon and leave things like groceries to the stores. Doing this saves on gas and time for me never mind being cheaper than the local stores to begin with.

My account is technically not prime subscriber; it’s my GF's prime account. Because we use the same billing address, she was able to add my account to it and now I purchase her birthday and Christmas gifts with her accounts prime discount on my account. I am a horrible person I know.

I don’t use the unlimited streaming features but that’s also a nice incentive.

I use a free reader, Stanza, on my iPhone, and I love it. I also have the Kindle app, and share my wife's Kindle downloads through that, but I prefer the Stanza. You can change the background design, color, font size, do bookmarking, it remembers where you shut it down, and does other nice things. In addition, you get a page-turning effect which I like very much. I love having a library on my iPhone with me, and don't mind the small sensor - ooops! - small screen tradeoff for the convenience.
Also, there are endless free, i.e., public domain books available through Gutenberg and other sites, and the download is immediate and easy. A new, current book is probably not available for Stanza, but as a free app, I recommend it. BTW, I did compare it with a number of pay-for apps, and chose it because it was superior, not because it was free. Some people think it stopped working with the last iPhone upgrade, but it did not. You just have to pick the book you want from Gutenberg, e.g., and choose download in Stanza format, or e-pub format, and it works fine. My wife has a Kindle, and it has been replaced once and required a number of calls to customer service to get things working again. If I were going to a larger e-reader I'd get an iPad.

​You are correct typically they are not the latest books that are available. If you see a Prime logo it can be borrowed. You can have one out at a time and there are not due dates (as long as you are a prime member). You are limited to one book per month, typically though that’s a good time for most users.

Where we get our value on Amazon Prime is with free shipping. Those things you used to go out to the store for like shoelaces, filters, bulk goods I now just order through Amazon and leave things like groceries to the stores. Doing this saves on gas and time for me never mind being cheaper than the local stores to begin with.

My account is technically not prime subscriber; it’s my GF's prime account. Because we use the same billing address, she was able to add my account to it and now I purchase her birthday and Christmas gifts with her accounts prime discount on my account. I am a horrible person I know.

I don’t use the unlimited streaming features but that’s also a nice incentive.
That's cool. I'll look into it, but those 'free shipping' deals never include Canada....and Amazon.ca is mostly books, not everything like Amazon.com.

Most reactions

Back