early beach day in wellfleet ma

rmackenzie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The middle three photos show that you played with wide open apertures and a very (extremely) shallow DOF (depth of field), which I find is what beginners love to play with, but which isn't really fun to look at. It may be fun to take them for test reasons, but in the long run ...? That "BEACH" sign ought to have had the focus on all the letters, I think, not only on part of the A and the C (if I remember right).

As a general hint (I haven't too well memorised each and every detail of your five photos, it would be easier if they showed right here in your post for reference!), make sure your horizons are straight, mostly so when you photograph the sea.

thanks so much for the thoughts... how do i post the pictures right here in the thread? i was not sure how to so i just set them with links.

Thanks again

thanks so much for the thoughts... how do i post the pictures right here in the thread? i was not sure how to so i just set them with links.

Thanks again

use img tags
except without the spaces!

You have the beginnings of a fun future with your camera. I feel like these could be a bit brighter. LaFoto said everythings else I would have said.

Have fun, and good luck.

I think there is surely some possibility here with these photos. I liked the first one, so I went and edited it to bring out the colors:

dsc0077editrmthompson.jpg

and here is your original for side-by-side comparison:

DSC_0077updated1.JPG

P.S. Your screenname indicates that it's OK to Edit, but if you aren't comfortable, let me know and I'll delete this message ASAP!

thanks for the help everyone, i really appreciate the comments... i look forward to posting some more

I agree that they could use a little touching up to bring out the colors, but I think RMT's edit is a bit too far...it looks a bit too contrasty and unnatural. Here's my try:

edit.jpg

What I did:
First I used curves in Photoshop to boost the highlight contrast. (Boosted the top part, but rather than pushing the darks down as well, I kept them relatively the same as before) This gave the photo more striking colors and detail in the sky, but I felt it was a bit much, so I desaturated it by -10 to compensate.

Next, I duplicated the layer, erased the sky from the top layer, and did a bit more in curves to really make the log pop.

Next, I used the burn tool to add the vignetting to the sky, and a little to the bottom right corner. The sky is very monochromatic, so the vignetting adds a bit of interest without going into the realm of unnatural coloration, and also focuses the eye on the main subject of the photo.

Finally, I sharpened the ground layer a slight bit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back