early bird gets the fish?

scooter2044

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't normally get a chance to get out early in the morning but this weekend I got out to take some practice shots at dawn. Found this guy on the lake as I was getting ready to leave. I guess the early bird really does get the fish. I haven't done much low light photography so C&C would be welcome and appreciated.

fishing at dawn 1
by Sheila Swindell, on Flickr

fishing at dawn
by Sheila Swindell, on Flickr

I would suggest a different composition for the first one. Hard to explain so just banged out a sketch. Bringing the center of interest closer to the camera and having him moving into the scene.
22607012274_db82de7e52_c.jpg

Quite like the first one, just wish the guy was entering the frame rather than exiting it.
A wee bit of shadow recovery in the tree line me thinks. :)
Rgds,

I would suggest a different composition for the first one. Hard to explain so just banged out a sketch. Bringing the center of interest closer to the camera and having him moving into the scene.
View attachment 111850
I like the different composition but am not quite skilled enough to accomplish that in pp. I will have to keep it in mind for next time I am out there. Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

Quite like the first one, just wish the guy was entering the frame rather than exiting it.
A wee bit of shadow recovery in the tree line me thinks. :)
Rgds,
Thanks! I did do some shadow recovery on both but since the trees didn't have the leaves anymore they seemed to take away from the scene rather than add to it when I did more. I agree about the composition. I did want the fisherman looking my way and by the time he had looked away he was too far to the right, lol. Thanks for commenting, Jasii. :)

One thing about telling a story with a photo is that the viewer doesn't have the info that the photographer has. So, for the viewer to see "dawn" there needs to be an element that tells that part of the story. Perhaps the sunrise in the background or something. Without that element it's just an underexposed photo?

One thing about telling a story with a photo is that the viewer doesn't have the info that the photographer has. So, for the viewer to see "dawn" there needs to be an element that tells that part of the story. Perhaps the sunrise in the background or something. Without that element it's just an underexposed photo?
I guess I'm off in search of another spot then. The small piece of shoreline on this side of the lake doesn't afford a view of the sun when it's rising. I mostly just wanted some low light practice with my camera. Thanks for the advice.

Most reactions

Back