Fish Shack Milky Way

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a pano of 6 single exposures taken with the Fuji XT2 and 35mm: ISO 3200, f/2, 10s. Edited in LRC and Topaz Denoise. First time trying the 35mm for astro. I got a bit of trailing at 10s and may go for a shorter exposer next time. Maybe my math was wrong (35m on a crop = 35 X 1.6 / 500 = 11 yes?????).

I like to shoot early in the season when the MW is low and big on the horizon. Unfortunately that means single digit temps (F) and a 2:30am start to the MW window. This was taken at a popular local spot to shoot known as "the fish house" on Cape Porpoise in Maine. Left my house at midnight and got home at 7am after a stop for breakfast. I'm getting too old for these all nighters!!!

Comments, critique, suggestions are always welcome. Thanks for looking.

Maine Milky Way 2022 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Not bad at all. But like other "rules" of photography, the 500 rule is more of a gulde. I'd say 9 seconds maybe closer but this image looks really good.

Not bad at all. But like other "rules" of photography, the 500 rule is more of a gulde. I'd say 9 seconds maybe closer but this image looks really good.
I realized after posting that I did the math wrong. I was dividing by 500 and should have been dividing into 500! I’ve been shooting with the 12 mm and 14 mm for so long that I haven’t had to even think about the rule of 500 in a few years. Lesson learned!
It looks like an approaching storm! Nice one.
Thanks much appreciated!

A slightly more edited dramatic version which I know is too much for some but I love it.
4EB1779E-8DF7-4F4B-B2BB-41BDFEEC2DCB.jpeg

Nice image.

Wonderfully done! I like the edit! Do you use a night filter to filter out some of the urban light, or are you far enough out that you aren't affected?

Wow!
Just beautiful, it's definitely a wall hanger.

Nice image.

Thanks

Wonderfully done! I like the edit! Do you use a night filter to filter out some of the urban light, or are you far enough out that you aren't affected?
Thank you. No I don't use a night filter. I've yet to see one that is reasonably priced and gets good reviews.
It's pretty dark along the Maine coast at 3am in March, especially when you are looking out toward the open ocean.

Wow!
Just beautiful, it's definitely a wall hanger.
Thanks very much!

Well worth it!

I like the first one better; I think the edited one emphasizes other lights more, which seems to detract from the shack. (Not the Love Shack, huh? lol)

Well worth it!

I like the first one better; I think the edited one emphasizes other lights more, which seems to detract from the shack. (Not the Love Shack, huh? lol)
Thanks Sharon. No not the love shack although that song has been in my head since that night. Around and around and around and around!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back