Early Morning Birds

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got to Old Hickory Wildlife Management Area just as the sun poked its way through the trees this morning. A bit of fog, a bit of cloud, a lot of sunrise.

2013-11-09-01.jpg

The Ring-Billed Gulls are starting to make their annual migration into this area.

2013-11-09-04.jpg

2013-11-09-13.jpg

A Great Blue Heron contemplating the fog hanging over his feeding area.

2013-11-09-07.jpg

Until I got just a a wee bit too close for his comfort ;)

2013-11-09-11.jpg

Thanks guys. I agree, not so much about the photograph but about the fact that it was a gorgeous scene. I went over there hoping to follow a Bald Eagle to a point where I could get some good shots, but as soon as I opened my car door I saw him headed down the lake and out of sight. Then I happened to notice the sun coming up through those trees and I just sat there and stared at it for a few minutes. I finally came to my senses and got my camera out for a couple of shots. I could have just sat there and stared at it all day I think.

Excellent job, Scott. The first and third are the best IMO! Just looking at the first one makes me hear crickets in the background, the small ripples make me think "chilly but calm." Nice!

Excellent job, Scott. The first and third are the best IMO! Just looking at the first one makes me hear crickets in the background, the small ripples make me think "chilly but calm." Nice!

Thanks, but no crickets this morning! Chilly but calm is a lot closer. It was about 30 degrees when I got there. Warmed up pretty quickly though and was in the 40's when I left.

All of them are outstanding with the possible exception of #2 - looks like the shutter speed was just a tad bit too low on that one.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I actually prefer some motion blur in the wings when I shoot birds in flight, it makes it look less static to me. But I think some of that is depth of field. It was shot at 1/500 second which is normally plenty fast for gulls. Not a lot of DOF at 500mm and f/6.3 though ;)

All of them are outstanding with the possible exception of #2 - looks like the shutter speed was just a tad bit too low on that one.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I actually prefer some motion blur in the wings when I shoot birds in flight, it makes it look less static to me. But I think some of that is depth of field. It was shot at 1/500 second which is normally plenty fast for gulls. Not a lot of DOF at 500mm and f/6.3 though ;)

Lol.. it's always a trade off isn't it. I use a 300 mm 4.5-5.6 myself so it's always tough trying to keep the shutter speed fast enough but not too fast and when you throw aperture on top of that it can be tough trying to get just the right settings in time to still get the shot.

Nice. Really like 1. Number 4, looks like it was posed. My wife, and daughter are on their way to Nashville for a week. Daughter just moved there. MIL passed away at our home, last Sunday. Good time for wife to do a getaway. Hope to get down your way myself sometime. Would love to hookup and take a few pics. Later Ed

Lol.. it's always a trade off isn't it. I use a 300 mm 4.5-5.6 myself so it's always tough trying to keep the shutter speed fast enough but not too fast and when you throw aperture on top of that it can be tough trying to get just the right settings in time to still get the shot.

It's definitely a trade-off every time. Especially early in the morning. I normally shoot in manual mode for situations like that because I never know if I'm going to be pointing up at the sky, down at the lake, or toward the woods at the sides. Plus, the light is changing rapidly that time of day. That shot of the gull was taken at 7:05 this morning and the sunrise shot was taken at 6:27 so it was getting lighter all the time.

It's a lot of fun though. I enjoy the challenge of shooting them in flight.

Nice. Really like 1. Number 4, looks like it was posed. My wife, and daughter are on their way to Nashville for a week. Daughter just moved there. MIL passed away at our home, last Sunday. Good time for wife to do a getaway. Hope to get down your way myself sometime. Would love to hookup and take a few pics. Later Ed

Thanks, Ed. #4 was certainly not posed. That Heron was over in some weeds near the edge of the lake and got annoyed when I walked up. He flew over there on the other side of the road and sulked for a while so I went over there and made him fly away again ;)

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. My condolences to your wife. It is difficult, I've been there myself.

Absolutely when you get down this way give me a shout. Lots of interesting spots around here for photography.

Thanks, Ed. #4 was certainly not posed. That Heron was over in some weeds near the edge of the lake and got annoyed when I walked up. He flew over there on the other side of the road and sulked for a while so I went over there and made him fly away again ;)

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. My condolences to your wife. It is difficult, I've been there myself.

Absolutely when you get down this way give me a shout. Lots of interesting spots around here for photography.

Aha.. so, put yourself through college training wild birds to pose did you? Lol

Aha.. so, put yourself through college training wild birds to pose did you? Lol

If I could do that I could save myself a whole lot of effort chasing the critters all over the place to get a decent shot! I walked the same piece of real estate 4 times this morning because every time I got remotely close to a Kingfisher he would fly to the place I had just left. Ever heard a Kingfisher laugh? I have!

I guess my reference to posing , was not to clear. I meant to imply, that the image looked like a museum display. I meant it as a compliment . Later Ed

Most reactions

Back