Early Morning Birds

Enjoyed all the photos but especially the GBH in the fog. Funny, I usually prefer in flight shots. Any how, I can fully empathize with the Kingfisher troubles. There's a pair here that do the same to me.

I guess my reference to posing , was not to clear. I meant to imply, that the image looked like a museum display. I meant it as a compliment . Later Ed
No worries, thanks Ed. I appreciate the compliment.

Enjoyed all the photos but especially the GBH in the fog. Funny, I usually prefer in flight shots. Any how, I can fully empathize with the Kingfisher troubles. There's a pair here that do the same to me.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Fog always seems to add something to a photograph. I've got a lot of shots of Herons, both in flight and standing, and I do prefer this one over a lot of them.

Kingfishers seem to be my nemesis right now. I've got a few shots of them but nothing I really like. Maybe they are the same everywhere but around here they are very shy and will fly as soon as they see a person getting remotely close to them. They usually don't go far, normally to another nearby tree, but this one yesterday was playing with me. I honestly covered the same path four times, and each time he flew he let out this call that sounded exactly like a laugh.

#3 is perfect! Wow, worth the early rising and cold temps to get a shot like that!!
Nancy
Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

It's not a bad price to pay. I love this time of year. I hate hot weather and I love cold weather so now is when I start to come alive again. I've had a lot of back and hip problems the past couple of years and after a summer of physical therapy and exercise I'm finally getting where I can enjoy get out and walk around again.

Very nice shots....

I want to share a bird photography tip with all -

$bird_photgraphy_tip.jpg

My favorite is no. 3, this stump in the water and the interaction between the two seagulls makes it the most interesting of the series IMO.
I love the dramatic mood of no.1 but think that the shadows on the water that make a black line all the way down draws too much attention, I would either try to lighten it a bit or crop more of the image on the right side, I think that the detail in this image that draws my attention is the tree leaning over the water but it seems a little far away!

My favorite is no. 3, this stump in the water and the interaction between the two seagulls makes it the most interesting of the series IMO.
I love the dramatic mood of no.1 but think that the shadows on the water that make a black line all the way down draws too much attention, I would either try to lighten it a bit or crop more of the image on the right side, I think that the detail in this image that draws my attention is the tree leaning over the water but it seems a little far away!

Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at that, you may be right.

Kingfishers seem to be my nemesis right now. I've got a few shots of them but nothing I really like. Maybe they are the same everywhere but around here they are very shy and will fly as soon as they see a person getting remotely close to them. They usually don't go far, normally to another nearby tree, but this one yesterday was playing with me. I honestly covered the same path four times, and each time he flew he let out this call that sounded exactly like a laugh.

Oh how I know that feeling! The Kingfishers are the same here with that taunting call. It sounds like they are just laughing hysterically...

Very nice shots....

I want to share a bird photography tip with all -

View attachment 60017
Maybe you have a tip for making Kingfishers pose?

Your best bet for good kingfisher photography is find a perch they frequent, setup your blind so you can pretty much fill the frame.

I have seen some pretty detailed kingfishers on perches, they are all blind shots. Sometimes you got to take 3 or 4 hours of waiting.

I got that kwik camo on order, im hoping to try it out on a king fisher once i find a perch they use, i can get close to

Oh how I know that feeling! The Kingfishers are the same here with that taunting call. It sounds like they are just laughing hysterically...
I hate that laugh ;( This one Saturday was PLAYING with me! The second (or third or fourth) time he flew he perched in a tree across the lake from me. There is a walking trail running right by the tree, and I watched several people walk along it and he ignored them. Yet when *I* trudged all the way around the end of the lake and walked down the SAME trail he waited until I got close and flew (again!) giving that wicked laugh. There really should be a law against that kind of behavior. It's cruel and unnatural.

Your best bet for good kingfisher photography is find a perch they frequent, setup your blind so you can pretty much fill the frame.

I have seen some pretty detailed kingfishers on perches, they are all blind shots. Sometimes you got to take 3 or 4 hours of waiting.

I got that kwik camo on order, im hoping to try it out on a king fisher once i find a perch they use, i can get close to

I think I'll just wait and steal your shots. They are always better than mine anyway. (just kidding, of course)

One of the reasons I enjoy birds and wildlife is that it forces me to walk. I've had a lot of back and hip problems the past few years and it finally got to the point that I couldn't walk from my car to my office without severe pain. I'm just now getting back to the point that I can get out and do things so I force myself to walk as much as I can on weekends. Even so the places I go right now aren't off the beaten path so it's easier to get back to my car if I have to because it still hurts. A LOT!

Most reactions

Back