What's new

Early Morning Reflection Constructive Criticism

Farmclicker

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 6, 2012
Messages
82
Reaction score
15
Location
Maine
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was curious if this would be a difficult photo to take due to conflicting lighting, or if I just fell short on it?

It is an early morning photo, with the intent of getting the sun on the trees, the reflection on the water, and a little added interest by suggesting a young lady on a bike out collecting wild flowers could not resist the urge to take a skinny dip. That was the intent and this was NOT a "quick snap" type photo, but an image I truly tried to capture to the best of my ability with my only option, a point and shoot camera.

When I noted the foreground was particularly dark (picnic blanket and assorted items on it) I opted to try a flash, but that looked horrible. Adjusting the contrast and brightness on my Paint Shop Pro Program fell short as well.

I have a few questions:

1. Would this be considered a challenging shot for professionals due to the strong variation in light?
2. Is the darker foreground okay since it conveys the early morning hour of the day, or should it be adjusted so it can be seen better by the viewer?
3. Was this a challenging photo for a point and shoot camera and beyond its capabilities?
4. Did my attempt to add interest by applying props to aid in a possible scenario (young woman skinny dipping in a lake) work, or is this just unprofessional and lame?

 
Last edited:
Hey farmclicker,

I like the scene that you've set up. Foreground is a bit dark, but mostly just in relation to the trees and sky. If you cropped showing only the reflection of the trees and sky you may be able to lighten the foreground and wind up with a slightly different, more intimate mood for the shot. Also, you can apply a graduated filter effect to darken the sky a bit and then increase overall exposure.

Please post your image directly onto the site. Most people don't want to go to flickr to see the picture. Go to the "share" button right above your picture, get the "BB code" for the appropriate size, then copy the code and paste it onto your post.

Desi
 
As Desi has indicated, you will probably get many more comments if you post your image directly here. Most folks, including me, are not keen to click a link, even to Flickr, as there is the possibility of a virus - not that you would ever cause such a problem - but there is always the possibility in going to a link. Also, if you do become a regular and post more than one image at a time, please number them as it makes it easier for a reviewer to refer to them. Thanks.

WesternGuy
 
I apologize for my lack of etiquette regarding photos on here and appreciate the instructions on doing so the right way. I have amended my orginal post to reflect the recommended changes (no link) but was unsure of what the standard photo size setting is. I chose medium for faster upload speeds in any case.
 
My unprofessional (and largely uneducated) opinion:

It's a little dark, especially the foreground, which has already been pointed out. WB also seems off; seems to me like it's got a very blue cast to it.
I like the idea. IF it were me, I would have composed it differently; can't say if that would be better, or just different. I'd have shot this horizontally, and placed the bike at the right or left edge of the blanket so it was still in the composition, but didn't compete for my attention with the reflections in the water. I find myself wanting to push that bike out of the way so I can see the water better. Also, I think instead of placing the shoes on the blanket with the dress, I would have placed them in the grass between the blanket and the water, one close the blanket, one a little closer to the water, as if they had been taken off and dropped in the grass on the way to the water's edge.

That's my opinion; it's worth very nearly what you paid for it.
 
Thanks for your reply, this is exactly what I was looking for. I love your ideas for how you would have composed the photo, and thought and your word imagery is spot on; "push the bike out of the way to see the reflection in the water", I can understand that.

I realize that the way I did it was one way to compose it, but I completely agree with you...it may have not been the BEST way. Thanks for taking the time to write down your thoughts...much appreciated!
 
$7678463186_52f9a9ca9e.webp
 
Ahhhh!! Not the second..not the second!!! :lol: No really, I like this photo...kinda has a martha stewart quality...but I would have much preferred to see the entire blanket...not just that little section. Lighting...IMO...the bottom is underexposed, even though it is morning/evening.
 
The placement of the bike is making this image look a little flat to me. Moving the bike in the frame may help as well as rotating it 90 degrees.
 
To truly get across the intended meaning of a girl skinny dipping, the photo should have some indication that a person is in the water (ie naked girl swimming)
 
If, as fokker noted, we're to project a person swimming in the lake, then the placement of the bike blocks that path. When setting up a story shot, you need to think where the eye starts in the image, and then give it the clues to go where you want it to go.
 
Hope you don't mind my edit of your shot.

White balance was on the cool side. Increased exposure overall and an increased exposure brush on the bicycle.

I agree with what sm4him said about the bike sort of blocking the path to the lake. Maybe arrange the clothing so that they are dropped along a path to the lake and throw a stone in to suggest the ripples from a swimmer just out of the frame.

Again, a very nice image.

Desi


7678463186_ea3902044c_k.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr
 
Hope you don't mind my edit of your shot.

White balance was on the cool side. Increased exposure overall and an increased exposure brush on the bicycle.

I agree with what sm4him said about the bike sort of blocking the path to the lake. Maybe arrange the clothing so that they are dropped along a path to the lake and throw a stone in to suggest the ripples from a swimmer just out of the frame.

Again, a very nice image.

Desi


7678463186_ea3902044c_k.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr


I love the extra detail that this edit brought out in the bike!
 
I do as well and thank you for your time on this Desi. I realize we are all busy and that you had to take time off from something else to work on this. I have saved the redo of the photo because I liked it so much.

Aside from that, I appreciate all the help on this photo. It may seem small to many of you, but you gave me some great pointers that will help me improve, and compose my pictures better. Thanks!!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom