weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first landscape shots for a long time given lockdown and work, but it was fun to get out and I really enjoy being on this small island for a short break. It's quite difficult to photograph, and its a place wher getting decent compositions can be challenging. But we had one spectacular sunset, and for once I was out and ready for it!

Sunset Quarry 1 by wee_pete, on Flickr

Sunset Quarry 2 by wee_pete, on Flickr

Sunset Quarry 3 by wee_pete, on Flickr

The Swimming Quarry by wee_pete, on Flickr

Mirror Quarry by wee_pete, on Flickr

Back Shore Quarry by wee_pete, on Flickr

Wow, a sublime set there Pete. I can see me there in the Motorhome. Beautiful.

Nominated No1 for POM Pete, albeit it could have been any of them.

Last edited:
Wow, a sublime set there Pete. I can see me there in the Motorhome. Beautiful.

Nominated No1 for POM Pete, albeit it could have been any of them.

Thanks mate! that's a massive compliment and much appreciated! 😁😁 That one is my favorite too.

The Island is well worth a trip, though you'll struggle to get a motorhome there as there's no roads on the island and it's only accessible via a small boat (run by the council and takes 6). Easdale village is easily accessible though, and usually plenty of parking at the back car park if the peir and pub is busy. The oyster bar is good for food and beer, advisable to book if you want to go is as they get full quickly. The pub on the island is changing hands and is currently closed, but has been a cracking place before. It's easy to walk round the island, only takes about 30mins but an hour or two at the quarries are nice. It's old school, so no warning signs or rails to keep you in or spoil shots. In September the world stone skimming championship is held there and it gets busy then, the Island has a population of around 50. I really like the place.

Damn, Pete, those are awesome! Now I want to go there.
Thanks Kirk! As I said to Spaceface, I really like it there, there's good food nearby, good people and unusual, interesting scenery. It sounds and looks industrial from afar, but holds it's own beauty. i find the quarries facinating, and the colour on the island is great with wild flowers growing in the slate and the Atlantic ocean right there. I'd love to buy a holiday home there, but with such a small population it feels unfair to take housing away from locals. There's a few cottages to rent, and we stay in An Rubha (The Point) which is a very nicely appointed cottage with one of the best views on the Island and is owned by one of the residants. The weather can be unpredictable and mixed there, a lot of microclimates going on so it can be a bit of a gamble. On a sunny day the West coast of Scotland rivals anywhere in the world, and is a stunning place to be.

wow great work

wow great work
Thanks zulu, we've been going there for a number of years now, and have always taken my camera. This year I felt like I've done much better at finding some decent compositions. It's one of those places that is very beautiful, but doesn't always translate well. I spent a bit of time hunting out compositions this trip and I think it paid off.

Great set, wonderful skies...
Thanks Jeff! That was the best sunset I've seen there, and it was great to be able to capture it.

Thanks mate! that's a massive compliment and much appreciated! 😁😁 That one is my favorite too.

The Island is well worth a trip, though you'll struggle to get a motorhome there as there's no roads on the island and it's only accessible via a small boat (run by the council and takes 6). Easdale village is easily accessible though, and usually plenty of parking at the back car park if the peir and pub is busy. The oyster bar is good for food and beer, advisable to book if you want to go is as they get full quickly. The pub on the island is changing hands and is currently closed, but has been a cracking place before. It's easy to walk round the island, only takes about 30mins but an hour or two at the quarries are nice. It's old school, so no warning signs or rails to keep you in or spoil shots. In September the world stone skimming championship is held there and it gets busy then, the Island has a population of around 50. I really like the place.

Thanks Kirk! As I said to Spaceface, I really like it there, there's good food nearby, good people and unusual, interesting scenery. It sounds and looks industrial from afar, but holds it's own beauty. i find the quarries facinating, and the colour on the island is great with wild flowers growing in the slate and the Atlantic ocean right there. I'd love to buy a holiday home there, but with such a small population it feels unfair to take housing away from locals. There's a few cottages to rent, and we stay in An Rubha (The Point) which is a very nicely appointed cottage with one of the best views on the Island and is owned by one of the residants. The weather can be unpredictable and mixed there, a lot of microclimates going on so it can be a bit of a gamble. On a sunny day the West coast of Scotland rivals anywhere in the world, and is a stunning place to be.
If/when I get a fishing kayak I'll paddle across 🤣🤣

Beautiful set! I really like #1 and second it's nomination as POTM. The last one is also very interesting, with the man-made wall along the one edge.
Thanks Jeff, and much appreciated 😁, these are old quarries, dating back to the 1750's and used to be the centre of the slate mining industy here. Several parts of the walls have been built up at somepoint and the quarries can be in excess of 300ft below sea level, though they are all flooded now. With 7 on a very small island it's pretty unusual, but can be really stunning. There's a small hill that towers over the village and I'm toldbig waves can crash right over i a bad storm, lots of meandering paths, wildflowers and slate drystone walling. I find the place facinating, if very challenging to photograph well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back