Easter snow/Easter sun

Songbird

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to photography. I bought a second hand Nikon D50 a few months ago and am learning to use it. Mostly I am still on P or A settings though!

Here are some Easter themed pictures I took the other week:

307484971.jpg

307485123.jpg

307485194.jpg

307484977.jpg

307484844.jpg

307484862.jpg

And here are some that showed Easter day itself!

309873021.jpg

309873079.jpg

309873153.jpg

309873194.jpg

309873224.jpg

309873324.jpg

309873341.jpg

309873479.jpg

Comments and critiques very welcome, as that's how I'll learn! I hope that wasn't too many photos for a first piost.

The Songbird has finally found her way to here!

:hugs: and more :hugs: to you!

I am sooo happy to see you around, now will the Alexecho show her face again, too, you reckon???

And believe it or not: a day after you were able to take these White Easter photos, all that snow came over to here and we have a WHITE GARDEN now, too!!!!! For the first time in ALL of this winter (now, as spring has officially started last week on Friday :roll: ).

Folks, welcome our SONGBIRD.
She's a friend and a much better photographer already than she claims to be! :D

:) Thank you for the welcome!

I don't know if Alexecho will come back...

Now here you can tell me what to do about my pictures to make them better! I am very MUCH a beginner. I try to look at the settings the P function chooses, but most of the time I forget! I wouldn't be able to do much left on my own.

I look forward to seeing your snow photos, as they are always so nice.

To tell you the truth, I rarely see anything much that would need to be done better in your photos, and I couldn't tell what to change in any of the ones you are presenting now. You have an eye for the motif, you take this or that angle (as can be seen in the first three), you know when the light is good and right, and you know how to take advantage of good light, and when there is a "blizzard" going on around you, you cannot expect your photos to look "sunny", hm? ;)

Actually, I find your "heavy snow fall photos" of Ely Cathedral quite well done!

Thank you! I liked some of them too, especially the last Ely one.

And no, definitely didn't expect sun that day!

But I need to learn to get better to take photos like yours...

Welcome - I must have seen you taking the pictures in Ely on Easter morning as we were attempting to go down to London for lunch and drove by the West door in the snow and down the Gallery before turning back finding cars slipping around at about 15 -20mph on the Newmarket road. Love your pictures - are you local to Ely - my view from the garden is over the Fen to the Cathedral about 2.5 miles away.

I was just thinking that for a beginner you sure did nail the exposure on the snow pictures. Most newbies underexpose and those were done nicely.

Very good shots - the first set - #1 and 4 are very good. #5 and 6 are a bit flat looking, maybe increasing DOF? I'm guessing you used an A mode for those.

Second set - #6, the white balance looks off, too blue, you can adjust that in PP, especially if you start shooting RAW.

Thanks! The exposure was automatic. I think I had it on the P setting for most of these. There should have been other P* settings on the first series at least, because it was so sunny, so I might have been able to increase DOF. I never really think about changing it when it's on P, but I need to start thinking about it!

The blue photo was taken from a car, which I think is what caused the colour to be funny - although others taken from inside the car aren't so bad! I might still be able to rescue it somehow. I quite liked the look of the mill in the blizzard.

Fangman, you might well have seen me if you were out early - they were taken about 8:45 Sunday morning, before I went in for a rehearsal. By the time we came out after it was all over, it was noon, and snow was all slushy and not nearly so pretty!

Corinna, Alexecho has never gone away! I come back often, just to look at one or two peoples photos.

Songbird, nice to see you here, finally!

Hey. Alexecho is really HERE ... and posts, too!
Now: will the two of you come to the Meet-Up or won't you ? ;) ;) ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back