Eating Dinner While Being Eaten for Dinner

I read recently that mosquitos are highly attracted to the color black. And I think we all know that mosquitos can sense carbon dioxide quite,quite well. I would imagine that bear is giving off a good deal of carbon dioxide, and he is certainly black, and the mosquitos seem to have found him.

Yes I have noticed that they seem to like black, I think it is because they blend in with it. In my tent they often hide on the zipper where they are difficult to see.

It was also just before sunset, when the bugs are at their worst.

He seems to be thinking, "Need to look calm for the human, so he comes closer. Just relax about the mosquitos, here, eat some of this green stuff. Maybe the human will think I'm a vegetarian and come a little closer. Come on, human, I'm no threat. Really!"

I think your lucky you didn't end up being dinner :) I know how this bear feels. The biters have been insanely bad in the woods the past week and I normally leave with huge welts on my back :( Nice shot

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yea mosquitos suck.There attracted to lotions,Perfumes,.body sprays, scented soaps and body washes.Dark clothing attracts mosquitos because it easer for them to distinguish and because it draws more heat causing more sweat that also draws them in and your doomed.They actually make clothing thats has a repellent in the woven material and supposedly when they land on the material it will knock them out.Just something I read somewhere.It could be a crock of BS though.

Nice shot! Poor Black bear.

Sorry for the Hi-jack Steve...

I think your lucky you didn't end up being dinner :) I know how this bear feels. The biters have been insanely bad in the woods the past week and I normally leave with huge welts on my back :( Nice shot

Amazon.com: SuperBand - Insect Repelling Wrist Band - 10 count: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Does that stuff work?
There was a report this week about the Asian Tiger Mosquito. Yep, it likes dark clothing and loves humans. First found in Texas about thirty years ago and has now migrated to 27 states. Pretty agressive mofo.

Asian tiger mosquitoes have blood-lust for humans - CBS News

Diggin' the photo!
I think I can confirm them here.. I get mega welts from these bastards. I was loaded up with bug spray too.. These were mosquito bites, not horse flies... Sorry about my sexy back :lol:

Yep you got attacked alright.

Dang these salad bar eating bears are making my morning!:thumbup::thumbup:

I feel sorry for the bear with all the mosquitoes, but I really like the effect they are adding to the shot.

Sorry for the Hi-jack Steve...

Amazon.com: SuperBand - Insect Repelling Wrist Band - 10 count: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Does that stuff work?
There was a report this week about the Asian Tiger Mosquito. Yep, it likes dark clothing and loves humans. First found in Texas about thirty years ago and has now migrated to 27 states. Pretty agressive mofo.

Asian tiger mosquitoes have blood-lust for humans - CBS News

Diggin' the photo!
I think I can confirm them here.. I get mega welts from these bastards. I was loaded up with bug spray too.. These were mosquito bites, not horse flies... Sorry about my sexy back :lol:

wow you weren't kidding when you said welts! If it's a problem try taking an anti-histamine. Because they are basically an allergic reaction to the antiseptic that the mosquito injects you with so that you are less likely to feel it bite, the allergy meds will keep the welts down. Never tried it, but it makes sense and I've heard it works. I get bit enough that it doesn't swell up much any more. I've got 100+ bites on the back of each of my hands. Black gloves were probably a poor decision.

I've heard lots of things like "don't eat bananas," "eat lots of oranges," etc. but never found it makes much difference. It does help though to be out there with somebody whose blood tastes a little better! DEET is pretty effective on the mosquitoes for an hour or two, but nearly useless on horseflies, deer flies, black flies, etc. And then there's the noseeums ... you guys have those? Amazing how much a microscopic little insect can hurt.

And I have heard that those bracelets do work by the way ...

and thanks everyone for the kind words :)

Great shot Steve! The mosquitoes definitely add to the shot *scratches*
Coastal, I have the same issue, antihistamines for the bites you do get and use either Witch Hazel or Listerine as a repellent I've found they both help TONS.

This beautiful bear looks pretty satisfied with his dinner despite having to deal with the mosquitoes. He is undoubtedly quite acclimated to dealing with mosquitoes. A realistic rendering of a wild animal in his natural habitat.

Another thing I've heard might work are B Vitamins (you have to take a lot) - changes your blood smell, & they don't like it. Can't speak to effectiveness, as nothing works for me except being doused in enough DEET that it may just be mosquitoes don't like their humans pickled. But friends claim it's good.
Or take a sacrificial victim along on your shoot - I get bit more than anyone standing within 10 feet of me, and my kids have inherited the 'sweet blood'. We're very popular campers.
Love the photo too!

Most reactions

Back