Eclipse photography

Newtricks

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
October this year there will be a total lunar and partial solar eclipse. For the lunar celestial event I can only think I'll need to increase the ISO and reduce shutter speed as the moon is further covered by the earths shadow, until all but a red orb in the sky is seen. As to the solar eclipse, I understand a serious ND filter is needed, but everything I've read has a differing view on what works, from commercial to homemade filters, I need advice. How many stops down dose a filter need to be to photograph the sun?

Be well,

Anthony

Last edited:
Good question. I don't have any experience with it but I'd probably start at 10 and go from there. Try it out with the sun at full brightness with a high f stop. If you get it to work at full brightness, then when the eclipse occurs you can always open up.

Hey Keith, I did an internet search before posting here. After reading a dozen or so pages I found myself with more questions than I began with.

Thank you,

Anthony

I think for a Solar filter it's around 14 stops.
10 stops passes too much UV and IR light .. not good for the eyes.

I''ll have to double check that though

Gee. I've actually never tried just using my camera to photograph the sun - usually attached to a telescope with a doohickie on it which I don't have for my current scope.

I might just try stacking my ND10 (big stopper) and my 6 or 4 stopper and test it.
Need fast shutter speeds still though. So I think I'll give it a quick try in the next couple of days. Start Not directly pointed to the sun and slowly start pointing to the sun as test along the way.
Start shutter fast and then start slowing it down for exposure just for giggles.

Last edited:
Well I started with my filters.
My B+W ND 3.0 1000x (Big Stopper).
I faced away from the sun, put the ND up to my eye and slowly turned towards the sun. Before I even got there I could tell it was not enough light stoppage.

So I stacked on top of it my ND 1.8 64x (Little Stopper). Then did the same thing. Faced away from the sun, stacked Filters in front of my eye and slowly turned towards it. Well, it worked but I could tell it was still to bright.

So I stacked on top of those TWO my ND 0.6 4x. Did the same thing of turning into the sun. Not bad
But I stacked on those of those THREE my ND 0.3 2x. Looks pretty good this time when I did that.

D7000
80-200/2.8 @200mm 1/500 sec f/9.0 ISO 200
and we have the SUN !!
$20140827-NKN_7892.jpg
any slower shutter speed or larger aperture and it was just a white disc.

This is what my lens looked like with those filters stacked
$IMG_4393[1].JPG

So not to bad for a quick experiment of how much light stoppage you need. Notice the aperture setting too @ f/9.
Stacked filters:
ND2 0.3 1x
ND4 0.6 4x
ND64 1.8 64x
ND1024 3.0 1000x

how many stops is that ... I lost count.

Last edited:
Dang that's crazy haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think for a Solar filter it's around 14 stops.
10 stops passes too much UV and IR light .. not good for the eyes.

I''ll have to double check that though

This is where an articulating LCD screen comes in handy :D

is this what you are looking for

Region
Number
LocationMagnetic
Classification
Zurich
Classification
AreaArea
Change
Number
Sunspots
Sunspots
Change
Flares
Last 48 hrs
12148N02W48betaBxo10-504-7
12149N10W00betaEai1900162C4.3
12150S14E010alphaHsx100-1010
12151S08E23alphaHsx110-301-1C1.4

--> http://www.raben.com/maps/date

October this year there will be a total lunar and partial solar eclipse. For the lunar celestial event I can only think I'll need to increase the ISO and reduce shutter speed as the moon is further covered by the earths shadow, until all but a red orb in the sky is seen. As to the solar eclipse, I understand a serious ND filter is needed, but everything I've read has a differing view on what works, from commercial to homemade filters, I need advice. How many stops down dose a filter need to be to photograph the sun?

Be well,

Anthony

Anthony, if it helps heres an article I did on the last eclipse I photographed, discusses my settings and some of the post processing. Feel free to ask any questions.
pictureline Capturing the Eclipse with Matthew Kuhns » pictureline

is this what you are looking for

Region
Number
Classification
Zurich
Classification
Area
Area
Change
Number
Sunspots
Sunspots
Change
Flares
Last 48 hrs
N02W48
beta
Bxo
N10W00
beta
Eai
C4.3
S14E010
alpha
Hsx
S08E23
alpha
Hsx
C1.4

--> Solar Map of Active Regions | Raben Systems, Inc.

OMG. I took Astronomy for some stupid reason in college. Parsecs and arcsecs put a hurting on me. I dropped the class and started drinking beer.

OMG. I took Astronomy for some stupid reason in college. Parsecs and arcsecs put a hurting on me. I dropped the class and started drinking beer.

Well at least you may have studied the stars in a different way.

Pluto was still a planet back when I took astronomy. Matter of fact, they may not have identified it yet. I just came across one my astronomy book from back them.
I think the earth was still flat too.

Most reactions

Back