Eclipse in Nashville

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nashville was one of the prime spots for viewing the eclipse today, and it was truly an event. I didn't have a filter large enough for my 150-500 so I had to wait until "Totality" and even then I had to squint my eyes, get the sun in the viewfinder (camera was on a tripod) and trigger off a few shots. Here are a few of the best:

13:27:42 — Almost there. The bright spots at the bottom are all that’s left of the sun except for the corona around the edges.
2017-08-21-02.jpg

13:28:00 — Closer still. Look along the right edge and take note of the red fire that is visible. Those are solar flares that typically extend thousands of miles out into space.
2017-08-21-03.jpg

13:28:40 — As close as we got to “Totality”. The solar flares along the edge of the sun are clearly visible in this shot.
2017-08-21-04.jpg

13:29:00 — Starting to come out of it now. The bright spot is the sun starting to work its way out of the eclipse.
2017-08-21-05.jpg

13:29:17 — And this was as far as I was going. Even this little bit of sun hurt my uncovered my eyes and I wasn’t going to push my luck.
2017-08-21-06.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Especially the 3rd and 4th.

Wonderful set, very impressive

So you managed to photograph the eclipse without going blind or melting your sensor?

Great shots! Manual exposure? Or how did you determine exposure settings?

Thanks everyone, most appreciated. It was a very unusual event for here so I was going to shoot something, unless the clouds got in the way, and they turned out better than I expected.

So you managed to photograph the eclipse without going blind or melting your sensor?

Great shots! Manual exposure? Or how did you determine exposure settings?
They were all shot in manual mode. ISO 200, f/8, 1/250 second. 500mm on a tripod (sort of as mentioned at the top). I started at ISO 100 and 1/500 second as a guess but the first couple were underexposed. I didn't have much time to mess with the exposure so I gave it two more stops of exposure and it was close enough to fix in post processing.

Truly a memorable event, and I do appreciate all the comments.

Wow, really really nice set! Did you catch some solar flares in 3,4 as well?

Thanks, I appreciate that.

There are some solar flares visible. I did a quick-and-dirty calculation earlier by measuring the diameter of the sun on the screen. Based on an 864,576 mile diameter of the sun those tiny little flares are extending out into space about 30,000 miles and about 93 million miles away. If those flares had just died out immediately we wouldn't see the light go out here on Earth for about 8.3 minutes. It's really hard for me to come to grips with distances of that magnitude, and based on astronomical distances the sun is close.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

There are some solar flares visible. I did a quick-and-dirty calculation earlier by measuring the diameter of the sun on the screen. Based on an 864,576 mile diameter of the sun those tiny little flares are extending out into space about 30,000 miles and about 93 million miles away. If those flares had just died out immediately we wouldn't see the light go out here on Earth for about 8.3 minutes. It's really hard for me to come to grips with distances of that magnitude, and based on astronomical distances the sun is close.

Yes, very fascinating and spectacular knowing how little we really are in this universe. I had to do some more research scientific name: Solar Prominences. (Largest one on record was 500,000 miles long!).

Yes, very fascinating and spectacular knowing how little we really are in this universe. I had to do some more research scientific name: Solar Prominences. (Largest one on record was 500,000 miles long!).
A tendril of fire 500,000 miles long just boggles the mind. That's twice the average distance to the moon. Amazing pyrotechnics ;)

Most reactions

Back