Edges of Pictures are blurry

ryanswartz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have problems with this lens ever since I got it. The edges are always blurry. The f stop was set at 5.6. When I set it even higher they are still blurry. Is this the lens or a user error?

Attachments

• blurry edge example.jpg
    blurry edge example.jpg
    757 KB · Views: 279
What lens and camera?

Did you focus on the edges? Unless you go the pin-hole route, you do not get infinite depth of field, so I would expect the edges to be out of focus if you focused on the lass in the centre.

www.johns-old-cameras.blogspot.co.uk

Please retain the Exchangeable image file format (EXIF) metadata when you post a photograph. Then we don't have to ask what lens, what camera, what settings, etc. because we can usually read that data off your posted photo.

As john.margetts has mentioned; your DOF might have been too thin to get all the subjects in reasonable focus.

I see that your subjects are in a straight line perpendicular to the axis of the lens, so if the DOF was thin, then obviously the ones at the extremities of the line would not be in focus.

What distance, what aperture?

It seems to be on one side. Check the rear element of the lens for a fingerprint smudge...which is probably does not have. This is severe: it looks like there is a decentered element. It's only on the one side, not the other, which is not good.

I'm suspecting there's an issue with the lens, much along the same lines Derrel is headed.

Set the camera up on a tripod and take a series of images of a scene without changing the focus. Take each image at a different f/stop. Do all the images exhibit the same softness?

If possible, repeat the above with another camera. If it still appears, the lens is the culprit. If it's brand-spanking new, I'd contact the seller and request a replacement. If it's out of warranty, or you bought it used, then it's time for it to take a trip to the Lens Hospital.

Looks like a decentered issue of that zoom lens to me, because it only has this issue to the right side.

Since you have top gear, you really shouldnt have any such issue.

P.s.: Yeah, yeah, reading the whole thread first before answering would make such repetitions superflous.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back