Editing and monitor quality

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'll begin by saying that a lot of numbers tend to get lost with me and turn into just a lot of numbers combined with mumbo jumbo words and I get more confused than I began. So I hope you can answer without getting to technical.:blushing:

Until recently I had an old 19" CRT by Gateway, it took up most of my desk space and generated enough heat to fry an egg, but I never had a problem editing photos on it. Everything was always clear and sharp. Last year it died and had to be replaced cheaply....very cheaply and I ended up with a new 18.5 inch LCD monitor by Acer, for $100.00. I have hated to edit photos ever since. It always appears that I am looking at the photo thru fine screenwire!

I have been looking at articles about the best monitors for photo editing and frankly doubt that many average households have a $500 monitor on their family PC. I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist who is looking to get a better monitor in hopefully the near future. The best price I can meet however will be about $200. can someone give me an idea of what to look for?

The specs for the Acer I'm using now are: Resolution 1366x 768 max, Brightness 250nits, Contrast 10000:1 max, response time 5ms.
I have the monitor adjusted as per manufacturer info for the best photo quality, my window settings are at highest 32 bit color and highest 1366x768 res...

Thanks for any help and info you can offer and my eyesight thanks you too.;)

Look into the HP Performance series. You're probably going to have to spend closer to $300, but from what I've seen recommended on other forums, the HP's are very respectable for editing on a tight budget.

Your resolution seems a bit low, can you choose a higher setting?

Usually, when we are talking about monitors and their issues, it has to do with calibration. Most people don't even know about monitor calibration beyond adjusting the brightness and contrast so that it looks good to them. But when we are talking about editing photos, it becomes more important that what we see on the screen, is actually what the image should look like.
For example, if your monitor is showing too much green, you might adjust all of your photos so that they don't look green. But since it was just your monitor that was too green, you probably made your images too red. So if / when you send your photos out to be printed, or when you display them on the web for other people to see...the images will look different to them, probably too red.

That is why we all 'should' calibrate our monitors, and to do that properly, it requires a calibration device (with software). The trouble it, it costs at least $70 for the device, on top of the cost of the monitor. So I'm guessing that this isn't something that will fit into your budget, but you should probably be aware of it anyway.

Look into the HP Performance series. You're probably going to have to spend closer to $300, but from what I've seen recommended on other forums, the HP's are very respectable for editing on a tight budget.

Thanks. I'll look into them. I might be able to swing $300, but not sure at the moment. All I know is I have to do something.

Your resolution seems a bit low, can you choose a higher setting?

Usually, when we are talking about monitors and their issues, it has to do with calibration. Most people don't even know about monitor calibration beyond adjusting the brightness and contrast so that it looks good to them. But when we are talking about editing photos, it becomes more important that what we see on the screen, is actually what the image should look like.
For example, if your monitor is showing too much green, you might adjust all of your photos so that they don't look green. But since it was just your monitor that was too green, you probably made your images too red. So if / when you send your photos out to be printed, or when you display them on the web for other people to see...the images will look different to them, probably too red.

That is why we all 'should' calibrate our monitors, and to do that properly, it requires a calibration device (with software). The trouble it, it costs at least $70 for the device, on top of the cost of the monitor. So I'm guessing that this isn't something that will fit into your budget, but you should probably be aware of it anyway.

Thanks, but the problem really isn't with the color, though I do understand the importance of calibrating. The window res setting is as high as it will go, I guess its low because thats all the monitor is capable of.... specs on box say 1366x768 max.

There are different types of computer display technologies.

Your Gateway display was likely an IPS display type (In-Plane Switching), while it's low cost replacement is likely a TN display type (Twisted Nematic) which has limited accurate viewing angles but is less expensive to make and sell.

For image editing the IPS display type is preferred, with PVA (Parallel Vertical Alignment) displays a distant second choice for image editing.

Dell's ULTRASHRP series of displays are IPS type displays and start at about $300, like their $319 - 23" U2311H. UltraSharp U2311H 23 inch Monitor Details

There are different types of computer display technologies.

Your Gateway display was likely an IPS display type (In-Plane Switching), while it's low cost replacement is likely a TN display type (Twisted Nematic) which has limited accurate viewing angles but is less expensive to make and sell.

For image editing the IPS display type is preferred, with PVA (Parallel Vertical Alignment) displays a distant second choice for image editing.

Dell's ULTRASHRP series of displays are IPS type displays and start at about $300, like their $319 - 23" U2311H. UltraSharp U2311H 23 inch Monitor Details

Thanks KmH for the info on differnt types. Yes, I was actually looking at that monitor earlier today and I just read some reviews about the hp monitors "subscuck" mentioned - very good indeed. I guess it will be awhile longer [maybe December] before I can upgrade because that price range is still a bit of a reach right now, but I'd rather wait than jump the gun and end up with another piece of garbage. I only bought the Acer last year because I needed something - anything, and it seemed more logical to buy it than a used $50 CRT from the thrift store. At least now I have some idea of what I'm looking for and what my present problem is. I appreciate all the help.

Most reactions

Back