Editing Software

xlaire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
nubi.com.au
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do the pro's use for photo editing and manipulation? I presume most use Adobe Photo shop because I keep hearing "oh that photo has so been photo shopped" etc. Because of the expense and the fact that I am just starting out I just use Paint.NET and it's ok for its basic tools and some add on tools but I'm not that satisfied with it. What are some good alternatives?
I'm guessing a pro photographer that is making money from their work could claim the cost of photo shop as a tax write off. Surely Pant shop isn't the be's all and end's all of the best photo editing programs though.

What do the pro's use for photo editing and manipulation? I presume most use Adobe Photo shop because I keep hearing "oh that photo has so been photo shopped" etc. Because of the expense and the fact that I am just starting out I just use Paint.NET and it's ok for its basic tools and some add on tools but I'm not that satisfied with it. What are some good alternatives?
I'm guessing a pro photographer that is making money from their work could claim the cost of photo shop as a tax write off. Surely Pant shop isn't the be's all and end's all of the best photo editing programs though.

Lightroom if you are on Windows. Aperture if you are on Mac. Photoshop if you have deep pockets or know how to use torrents.

Lightroom if you are on Windows. Aperture if you are on Mac. Photoshop if you have deep pockets or know how to use torrents.

Torrents are great. I use isohunt search. Also, a program called topaz adjust is freaking amazing.

Live-free, are you really suggesting she steal software?

Don't forget the powerful FREE alternative, GIMP

Live-free, are you really suggesting she steal software?

Don't forget the powerful FREE alternative, GIMP

No, it just rhymed along with my cute and short little line. :) lol

but seriously don't steal software if you are going to make money off of it, or for a business. Just wrong...

Photoshop when top quality is required, but you need to be very capable in its use or its value is very limited.

Paintshop Pro X3, if you want a program better than Photoshop Elements that is still Photoshop-like in operation but only around $50 in price.

Plug-ins that operate in both Photoshop and Paintshop Pro X3, that speed up the editing process and ease the learning curve while still producing excellent results.

skieur

For free (free is always good!) - Gimp is probably the most powerful, and then there's Picasa and Photoscape. If you shoot in RAW then you need to download a RAW converter for GIMP to work and I don't think the other 2 work in RAW.

Adobe products seem to be the standard for Windows and there are 3 products - Photoshop, Lightroom and Elements. If you are a student you can get the student version of any of them.

Then there are others - ACDsee, Corel, Serif and I'm sure a few others.

I've tried the free ones and they are OK, with GIMP being the most feature rich and a higher learning curve. I now use the Serif product Photoplus X3 and it seems a little weak in certain things but has a lot of functions to use. I got it on Ebay for $25 so it was a pretty good bargin.

I would suggest try the free ones and see if they have what you want before spending the money.

but seriously don't steal software if you are going to make money off of it, or for a business. Just wrong...

Actually, its just wrong period. Regardless of what you make off of it. If there wasn't as many retards stealing software, us honest folk probably wouldn't have to pay $600 for it.

Anyway, to the OP, most pros are going to use Photoshop to one degree or another. Its the best, that doesn't mean its always needed, but almost every pro will have it at their disposal.

Actually, its just wrong period. Regardless of what you make off of it. If there wasn't as many retards stealing software, us honest folk probably wouldn't have to pay $600 for it.

Anyway, to the OP, most pros are going to use Photoshop to one degree or another. Its the best, that doesn't mean its always needed, but almost every pro will have it at their disposal.

I'm definitely not saying stealing software is acceptable...but please don't use the "if people didn't steal it, it wouldn't be $600" argument. Photoshop has *always* been around the same price point because it's *always* been marketed toward professionals. The people that steal Photoshop wouldn't be buying it *ANYWAY* so Adobe isn't actually losing money on it (and yes, there was a study by Oxford on this subject and it spoke on Photoshop specifically saying that Adobe probably only loses around 1/3% of its Photoshop customers due to theft).

Now...as for alternatives:
10 Excellent Open Source and Free Alternatives to Photoshop

There's really nothing that can *replace* Photoshop...but these are all excellent programs that can help you do usually whatever you need to. My friend actually today just told me about a program called "Pixelmator" which is a Photoshop alternative that sells for $60. He says he likes it just as much as Photoshop and it's a fairly powerful program.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back