Editing this weekend's wedding shoot

Lack of experience. Heck he was shooting on my equipment...

That is a cute shot just for fun. But I can't help but wonder, why didn't the second flip the camera into vertical? (to get the two of you and not the mirror and outlets, etc., and frame lower.) Those are basic skills for a photographer, doing events anyway, and the standard is different for professional work. Maybe it just takes years of practice.

Jeesh it was an outtake posted in the just for fun forum.

Great set! You have captured moments and expressions. The couple must be very happy.

I didn't realize what section this was in...

Great set, way to get er done.

Good shooting. I looked at dozens and dozens of your others on Pixieset, and I thought you did a bang-up job. Quite good really. Good color, good processing, Good expressions. On the few that were done as black and white I thought your conversions were excellent. Very modern looking for this wedding.

Thanks Derrel, like I mentioned before I'm still not overtly thrilled with the album. But they got good images that they are pleased with.

I did miss some staples with the wedding party, that the bride did later ask about. But we ran out of time and again, they honestly didn't even seem interested in shooting with me.

I tried really hard to think of creative ways to shoot in the houses, but the were very dimly lit and sparse/uninspiring. Plus, I was mainly concerned with making sure to capture everything since I wasn't sure how important anything happening was.

But again, learned a bunch, and would still keep doing them.
  • don't mistake 1/60 for 1/160.
  • shoot longer during speeches/dance to 1. be out of the way and 2. most importantly remove/compress the background.
  • learn to pose. I'm beginning to believe that understanding how to pose people is more important than many other technical things about photography.

Still perfecting my reception lighting as well. I used 2-3 gridded flashes and tried to keep them pointed on the subjects and/or provide a rim. I had my OCF controlling them and was firing it straight up at -3EV to provide a little fill. This was great when I had to do table greetings (yes, they made me go with them to each table and pose for a picture) where I could just turn off the remotes and go to a bounce card.

Here's an extended album for peeps: T + D - Tri and Duyen Wedding if you're curious.

Last edited:
Sometimes we can be our worst critic. I just got done scanning through the album and like Derrel, I also thought these were very good. I'm always impressed when I see a uniformity of processing, color and exposure across multiple images, that's the subtle mark of a professional. I'm curious did you have any printed? I bet they looked really good.

Wow. All nice! Numbers 13 and 14 in the first post - the intimate solo shots of bride and groom, are pure delight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back