Editing this weekend's wedding shoot

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Going through way too many images from a 15hr Vietnamese wedding. Just thought I'd share some of the ones I've initially flagged as good. Trying to put them in chronological order.

upload_2019-10-17_8-54-52.png

upload_2019-10-17_8-55-22.png

upload_2019-10-17_9-1-2.png

upload_2019-10-17_9-1-20.png

upload_2019-10-17_9-1-39.png

upload_2019-10-17_9-3-40.png

upload_2019-10-17_9-2-2.png

upload_2019-10-17_9-2-24.png

upload_2019-10-17_9-2-41.png

upload_2019-10-17_9-3-2.png

upload_2019-10-17_9-4-14.png

upload_2019-10-17_9-4-50.png

upload_2019-10-17_9-5-1.png

upload_2019-10-17_9-5-8.png

upload_2019-10-17_9-5-17.png

Super tough gig; I felt out of place and out of my element.

First off it really seemed like they were disinterested in getting photos. When I showed up in the morning, the bride just wasn't engaging with me -- took quite a while to squeeze a few getting ready shot.

They never really walked my through what they wanted and what was important and how the ceremony goes down. I basically begged for the information, and had to do my own research. I was also booked VERY last minute -- I think they had a Vietnamese photographer friend in mind to do them, but he flaked out and we signed a contract 2 weeks before the event.

Insanely tough conditions to shoot the ceremonies:

upload_2019-10-17_9-16-40.png

tried my best -- here's the shot I clicked off here:

upload_2019-10-17_9-18-1.png

I tried interesting angles/vantages, but was trying to capture everything that happened and not miss anything. Since I couldn't understand what was being said or what was important, I captured everything in a very straight forward manner.

Started at the bride's house, then back to groom's family where they had a lunch. both very small, dimly lit, and nothing inspiring about them.

They had a more american style reception afterwards where I had to setup a photobooth where the B&G posed for about an hour we each guest as they arrived, and that really ate into time with them, and also took away time from me focusing on other things.

rDHBDLQbLHLzzP901W6nB_7Y7yCXZt4m0aj_V36ANOzGf1_aS0sxc0euABs_pxQPeFRZzs-xHBrG6d6yx4Y5kgEXfBdrJz6GdfpWEWIevB9OgUImqh-FvaBLfvxcf_eJ5oioVe_F67HqB4tkx68qtzqvmMJdIG-FxCSBI3MreqoAS-1xVaiqn6kGwcBKw1JM7ZT-K7s4ZHyzyWgjeg6vDxlr5g9vpWdNDfY17lnaB4Plpd0MKacQ2zy2eb41NZ8MNK6z_smLc96pGgHVrAqXMYa8WKJBp7GY0JD5DbspJJcWeBlfvi3XU44PGM_kZE7GBXmLEeK5HtkOrTEybWiMsnhh4Da1JL8xuGFa-5uJE4PNBUVKh7jkTYPjZPpErDV1lfpKZwSzbn8Sf4pVP_55K3PwRPfezqgxqjBzV0j6UAe7wp7E6MpbhNiRHFt6v6wFc8BXkR69eCAsCU-oV4vPhHaSOdHpKtB0VvNeb-1fbKY1DvFKgRfyZ3MA-Jy-5mIHzAqUl0ZCSiS2Adke7DR3aFb1LbzWuU0L_Fvc3Ty15s_gz7NmbZJaMoOVdLGh9eGVu3frvpsFSYWKNSZMiA2gWGaCg9-Dy5qCIlRRVGQAdj9EwMj6qlxK6fy_V_uz0QaYP29SUe8pD2e8AFpU24z1ZpEpN-6YR1IDBXd5i5x32Zr3YYTE7JirRgA=w488-h650-no

they also expected them to be printed and given out on-the-spot.

I had a small window to work with the B&G in their hotel room and I'm happy with those shots.

The reception was a blur and I didn't nail the lighting which really annoyed me. I kept trying to give directions, and where to stand but people do what they want. Then I swept off to take photos of every single table greeting, which again took me away from being able to review and adjust, as we then immediately went into something else (games/toast/whatever).

We felt like we were batting from behind all night -- but despite that I think I have a good set of images for them. But other than the getting ready / posed shots I'm pretty bummed overall with what I was able to capture.

Damn dude... tough gig! Looks like you turned in a good, solid result though. Well done... one of the main reasons I do very few weddings! I would suggest binning #20; it looks like the girl in the foreground has been 'caught in the middle of business' if you get my meaning.

Sometimes you just have to do the best you can and be satisfied. Overall I think most of those you posted will be well received by the client.

I'm not sure if this applies here, but your comment about feeling out of place reminded me of an experience by one of my good friends. His son married an Asian lady. I remember him making the same comment after their wedding, as there were pretty significant cultural differences.

You did amazingly well, considering the circumstances. Congratulations on a job well done!

I'm not sure if this applies here, but your comment about feeling out of place reminded me of an experience by one of my good friends. His son married an Asian lady. I remember him making the same comment after their wedding, as there were pretty significant cultural differences.

I heard back from the groom I was well received and their families really liked me, so go figure.

Great set that includes some show-stoppers in there.

These look pretty good to me. Congrats on solving the on-site printing for the photo booth. I think overall these look quite good. Congratulations on coming through under pressure.

I like them just fine. Good job on the light metering. If they were my wedding pics I would've been pleased. I was in a Korean wedding back in '83. My DMZ Hap Ki Do instructor got married and asked me if I would like to be in his wedding. I felt the awkwardness also (maybe some confused for shyness) but I think they sensed that and tried to make me feel as welcome as possible. Awesome people, I need to visit them before it's too late.

Last edited:
I haven’t been on in ages! Before I read your comments on the shoot, all I could think of was how much your work has flourished since the last time I saw it!! Amazing series, you are fantastic!

"... was trying to capture everything that happened and not miss anything."
That's the thing doing events, you gotta be able to work fast. Not that I haven't ever missed a shot or nail every one, but that's what you're going for.

For example, for the first one if you'd flipped the camera into a vertical position you probably could've gotten them without clipping fingers at the bottom of the frame and heads at the top. The area to the left takes up about a third of the composition and being brighter may have caused the camera's meter to read that light instead of the light in the stairway. That means a split second (it seems like! you can do more in 2-3 seconds than it might seem) to realize it and adjust.

"... took me away from being able to review and adjust..."
That's another thing, there isn't much time. I learned shooting film, there was no reviewing; now I usually check the first one then shoot a number of photos, then scroll through a few to make sure the exposure looks OK, then keep going. You gotta be quick, and I think hours and years of practice make it seem instinct to just do it with out needing to think much about it.

"... other than the getting ready / posed shots..."
That's where you seem to excel; for example #4 is one that was beautifully done. You have a lot of really nice photos for the family who should be pleased; I'd suggest rethinking some of these. Probably more practice at events would help you get to the point that it becomes second nature.

These are great. Lighting, focus, composition- all wonderful. I think you’ve nailed it as far as capturing the affection between the b&g and the joy of the day, which is really what it’s all about. They’re going to love these. You did all this and ran a photo booth with printer? I hope you charged them accordingly!

That is a cute shot just for fun. But I can't help but wonder, why didn't the second flip the camera into vertical? (to get the two of you and not the mirror and outlets, etc., and frame lower.) Those are basic skills for a photographer, doing events anyway, and the standard is different for professional work. Maybe it just takes years of practice.

Most reactions

Back