Educate me.

luckofthedraw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm sticking with Nikon as this is what we own, and they have been very good to us in the past by replacing a broken camera with a new camera and very little grief. Customer service is great in my experience.

I'm trying to learn a bit more of cameras that are out there. Technology advances so fast and the last camera I purchased was in 2007.

There seem to be about half a dozen categories. I'm breaking them down in price range so I get a grasp of this, and because I'm working on a budget.

D3X/D4S/D4 - Top notch product produced by Nikon. Seems this would be used by professional photographers making a living with their camera. $5000 plus.

D810/DF/D800- Excellent product for pro's and amateurs who just are not quite ready to, or just can't justify throwing huge bucks at camera at this time. $3000-3500

D750/D610- Fairly affordable camera and a great product. For someone building a business or who really enjoys photography as a main hobby.$2000-2500

D7100/D7000/D5300/D5200- A second tier DSLR for someone interested in photography, or the family photographer who would like to spend a little more then your entry level camera. 1000$ or less

D3300/D3200/D3100- Someone whose enjoying a DSLR camera for there household, or just breaking into photography. Their first DSLR....welcome to the addiction. $500

I know this has the potential to be absolutely picked apart on a forum. I don't mind that, that is why I'm posting it. I don't know much about these cameras at all. I need your insight.

It would help if you told us what you plan on shooting? Landscapes/Portraits/Sports or wildlife. It would also help to know which lenses/camera you have at the moment. The last 2 categories you listed are cropped frame cameras, where the lenses and camera bodies are generally much cheaper than full frame bodies/lenses.

It would help if you told us what you plan on shooting? Landscapes/Portraits/Sports or wildlife. It would also help to know which lenses/camera you have at the moment. The last 2 categories you listed are cropped frame cameras, where the lenses and camera bodies are generally much cheaper than full frame bodies/lenses.

Thanks for the reply. My wife shoots a D3100 at the moment, but desperately wants an upgrade. I'm trying to make that happen for her 30th bday. She is shooting family photos, portraits and weddings for close friends and family.

I shoot canon, but for what she is shooting I think a 610 or 750 would be ideal. Her current lenses would most probably not fit those full frame bodies though.

I shoot canon, but for what she is shooting I think a 610 or 750 would be ideal. Her current lenses would most probably not fit those full frame bodies though.

That's the price I think I'd like to stay in as well. What are the differences between a 610 and a 810....or for that matter a D3X? Why such a difference in $ ?

I'm personally thinking of maybe getting a D750. I think the 810 has a new sensor, and has 36MP. There are quite a few posters around here who shoot with these cameras and would be better equipped to advise you on the differences. Getting good lenses are probably more important than getting a good body. Good glass will cost you more than the camera!

Unlike Canon cameras and lenses, with just a few exceptions any Nikon lens made since 1959 will fit on any Nikon camera made since 1959.

However, Nikon started making lenses that project a smaller image circle sufficient for their cameras that have the smaller than full frame APS-C (DX)size image sensor.
The D3100 has an APS-C size image sensor.

Nikon's FF cameras (FX), like the D610 and D750 mentioned above, can use those lenses designed for APS-C size image sensors but only use the central APS-C (DX) sized portion of the FX image sensor those cameras have.

So if you get a FX Nikon camera for your wife she may also want to replace any DX lenses she has with their FX counterpart.
FX lenses often cost considerably more than DX lenses, but there are many more FX lenses to choose from than there are DX lenses.

Unlike Canon cameras and lenses, with just a few exceptions any Nikon lens made since 1959 will fit on any Nikon camera made since 1959.

However, Nikon started making lenses that project a smaller image circle sufficient for their cameras that have the smaller than full frame APS-C (DX)size image sensor.
The D3100 has an APS-C size image sensor.

Nikon's FF cameras (FX), like the D610 and D750 mentioned above, can use those lenses designed for APS-C size image sensors but only use the central APS-C (DX) sized portion of the FX image sensor those cameras have.

So if you get a FX Nikon camera for your wife she may also want to replace any DX lenses she has with their FX counterpart.
FX lenses often cost considerably more than DX lenses, but there are many more FX lenses to choose from than there are DX lenses.
Oh ok. Thanks

So if I go with a 610 or pricier, how long should you expect to use that body for? I'm thinking once your in a fx...all u upgrade is glass? Until technology surpasses that body...

That's the price I think I'd like to stay in as well. What are the differences between a 610 and a 810....or for that matter a D3X? Why such a difference in $ ?

So if I go with a 610 or pricier, how long should you expect to use that body for? I'm thinking once your in a fx...all u upgrade is glass? Until technology surpasses that body...

Still looking for insight...

It depends on a lot of things I suppose. I only buy long term, so that is the reason I will get the best/newest sensor I can afford at the time (and the reason I'm shooting with such a dated system). If she is going to do weddings for money she would probably need a 2nd body (this can then be cheaper, and a little 'older') as well-speed-lights etc. If I every did wedding for money I will rent a 2nd body if I don't have one. Just too risky to go with 1 body imo.

The single digit cameras are built like tanks, and are built to last. The number of shutter actuations expected from the thing is Just Higher. These are cameras designed to be bought by an employer, and issued to employees who will use and abuse them and who will need them to Just Work all the time. I'm told that the ergonomics are pretty awesome too.

The D800/810 are the best image quality cameras in the world for their size. Pretty well built, certainly suitable for a pro. Not sure I'd issue one to a employee, though. They're tough, but you can't go using it as a hammer.

The D600/610 are, as far as I can tell, a kind of baby D800/810. Excellent cameras aimed at the same market the 800/810 are, but just a little bit lesser in several dimensions, and hence a little cheaper.

But I don't actually OWN any of these things, so what the heck do I know?

Assuming that you intend to try to wear it out before technology passes you by, look up the average shutter life and divide by your expected usage.

As to glass being the only purchase necessary, I would expect most photographers would find the need to obtain far more than just lenses. Things like lights, modifiers, tripod, bag, etc.

That is perfect info. I can't justify the D3X or the other comparable cameras. As much as I want a happy wife, it's still 5000$.

The D800's seem great but if the D750 or D610 are comparable I'd rather save the extra cash. This sure is an expensive hobby. :)

Two years ago when I thought I'd try to get her into a new camera and fell through, I was looking at the D600 because it was new to market and all anyone was talking about. Two years later, is that the D750?

thanks for the help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back