Ef vs Efs lenses on the 550D?

If you take a 50mm EF lens and put it on a full frame camera such as the 5D, then it will give you a "true" 50mm look.
Only if you consider 35mm film (or full frame digital) to be 'true'.
If the only camera(s) you use have an APS-C sized sensor, then the view you get from a 50mm lens will be your truth.

Ask someone who grew up shooting with a medium format camera, what their 'true' 50mm look is...wide angle.

For anyone who only has an APS-C camera (1.5 or 1.6 crop factor)....and isn't familiar with 35mm film SLR cameras & lenses....they should wipe their mind of 'The Crop Factor'.
My perception is already tainted since I learned on 35mm lol.

How does the difference show on medium format? I've never used or even seen one up close.

It's basically the opposite effect of what you get with the crop factor. A 50mm lens gives you a much wider field of view than you get on 35mm film.

Big Mike said:
Only if you consider 35mm film (or full frame digital) to be 'true'.
If the only camera(s) you use have an APS-C sized sensor, then the view you get from a 50mm lens will be your truth.

Ask someone who grew up shooting with a medium format camera, what their 'true' 50mm look is...wide angle.

For anyone who only has an APS-C camera (1.5 or 1.6 crop factor)....and isn't familiar with 35mm film SLR cameras & lenses....they should wipe their mind of 'The Crop Factor'.
agreed. A medium format 50 would be a medium wide angle. Not everything is based on 35 mm standards.

Most reactions

Back