EF24-105mm f/4 L IS USM LENS

I think elsaspet has one. She must have missed this thread. :)

I'm thinking about a 5D some time soon, and that's the lens it comes with, for an extra £600 ish. It retails at £900, so I guess my question is, should I get it with that?

Rob

This won't be particularly helpful, but here goes: I have 28-135 IS, and love that lens. I wish there were an L version that was faster, because at 1:3.5-5.6 it's not super-fast. I have a number of other lenses, including some L glass, so I've been considering a switch to the lens you ask about for some time. I've had this particular lens since I bought my 60D 4+ years ago. The conclusion that I've come to is that the extra 20mm focal length makes it by far the most useful and flexible lens on my 5D as a day-to-day lens, esp. now that I have a full-size chip and 28mm is actually pretty wide. Until they come out with an L version of my lens, I'm not giving up my current one, or buying the 24-105. The lens you describe is not faster, it's a LOT more money, but it does have a constant focus and some other L goodies. Get the lens I have, and save the money for the 85mm 1:2.8 L II or some other L treat :)

But whatever you do, hurry up and get the 5D. WHAT A CAMERA!

Iron Flatline said:
This won't be particularly helpful, but here goes: I have 28-135 IS, and love that lens. I wish there were an L version that was faster, because at 1:3.5-5.6 it's not super-fast. I have a number of other lenses, including some L glass, so I've been considering a switch to the lens you ask about for some time. I've had this particular lens since I bought my 60D 4+ years ago. The conclusion that I've come to is that the extra 20mm focal length makes it by far the most useful and flexible lens on my 5D as a day-to-day lens, esp. now that I have a full-size chip and 28mm is actually pretty wide. Until they come out with an L version of my lens, I'm not giving up my current one, or buying the 24-105. The lens you describe is not faster, it's a LOT more money, but it does have a constant focus and some other L goodies. Get the lens I have, and save the money for the 85mm 1:2.8 L II or some other L treat :)

But whatever you do, hurry up and get the 5D. WHAT A CAMERA!
It's funny you should mention that, because I borrowed a friend's version of your lens (the USM IS one right?) for that fashion show and it was great as a walk-arounder on my 20D. Now, with the extra width the 5D would have, and pushing the ISO up to 400, I think that would probably, as you say, be better. And I could get a cheap one on eBay and save the money for the 85mm f1.2!! ;)

The 28-135 is, by far, my most favorite lens aside from my 16-35L. I'd recommend getting that instead and save a boatload of money. I have a 5D as well and with the two together, they don't do half bad.

Mr_Jones, those are my primary lenses right there. The 16-35 is a joy.

Rob, lemme know when you get the new 85mm - it's my number one Want List item. In the mean time, you will be more than happy with the 28-135 USM IS. It's fast enough, the price is right, and the construction is pretty darn good.

Iron Flatline said:
Mr_Jones, those are my primary lenses right there. The 16-35 is a joy.

Rob, lemme know when you get the new 85mm - it's my number one Want List item. In the mean time, you will be more than happy with the 28-135 USM IS. It's fast enough, the price is right, and the construction is pretty darn good.
The 16-35mm certainly is a blast and it's a rediculously fast lens. I wouldn't mind getting that 85mm lens, either. And I agree, the 28-135mm is bult like a tank. It's suffered through all of my abuse, so you haven't got much to worry about.

I have the lens and so far I'm very happy with it. I have no regrets even if the price of admission is a bit high. Sharpness, bokeh, and contrast are nice. I am still pleasantly surprised at the results at full f4. I know its not much to go on but the lens is still relatively new to me ( only about 2 months old ). I've shot nothing but B&W negative ( 1v ) recently so I cannot provide any input in regards the color or how it performs on a digital body.

I've been saving up for many months to purchase the well known 24-70 f2.8L but I decided to go with this lens instead. I normally shoot with a bag of primes; 24 1.4L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, and 135 2L. I then realized that I wasn't just looking for yet another zoom to bring that same focal range but a great walk around lens. Its smaller size, lighter weight, and longer focal length compared to the 24-70 makes it a bit easier to pack. Throw in the newer generation IS that gives you approx 3 stops and you have the elements of a great general walk around lens.

My cousin shoots with the 28-135 IS lens exclusively. He is very happy with it and he should be. The pictures are very nice and the price point makes this lens a very very good buy. Of the non-L zooms, this has to be one of Canon's best. I do have to add that his 28-135 USM motor gave up on him recently after about 2 years of use. No idea what happened but he is still shooting with it in manual focus for the time being.

Hi....Dan just let me know about this thread.
I have mixed feelings about the lens. For a well lit situation, it's wonderful. In low light situations it has a hard time finding contrast enough to fix on anything. It really depends what type of work you are going to do with it. Portraits, it's great. Weddings, it's not so hot.
Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Back