Einstein possibly wrong about the speed of light

In all honesty though, how does it affect us?

I personally think the Cern project is a waste of money as is studying such things as solar flares. Ok so we will have a better understanding of such events and what not, but I think Mother Nature has proven she is an unstoppable force and us mere mortals just need to ride the wave and go with the flow.

I've always thought from a young age whilst still at school being taught such things as physics, How do they know?

There is so much science that is only theory, such as the Theory of relativity.

Theory
being the operative word, if there is no hard evidence then I don't believe it based on an assumption. I also believe the that by the time we can actually benefit from a project such as Cern the Human race will be no more.

Rather than invest billions in experiments that are unlikely to benefit us, the worlds governments should invest in such things as renewable energy rather than go to war with the middle east in the conquest of securing oil and gas and other fossil fuels. We as a race are raping the earth of it's natural resources which in turn has and adverse effect on the planet which inevitably will lead to our destruction as a race.

By the way I'm no tree hugger but if you look at the events of the past 10 years and the wars that have raged over the need for fuel, and the natural disasters that have been occurring supposedly as a result of Global warming, I can see only one future be it in my lifetime or not.

At the same time I don't dwell on this as there is absolutely nothing I can do to change events, so cay sera sera, what ever will be, will be the futures not ours to see.

Yeah, because you can make renewable energy without bothering with theories and assumptions. Just put a wind turbine up and it turns and makes energy like magic! You need to come up with a theory to explain why a turning turbine makes electricity before you build one, otherwise you're just making a pretty turny thing.

You appear to confusing scientific facts and scientific theories (don't worry it's common, particularly in the "what's the point" camp). A fact is a fact, a theory is a possible explanation of how the fact came about.

Gravity is a fact. - Newton's use of the inverse square law is one of many theories to explain the fact of gravity

Evolution is a fact. - Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection is one of many theories that attempts to explain how the fact of evolution works.

The expansion of the universe is a fact. - Hubble found that the galaxies were all moving away from each other and Georges Lemaitre came up with the Big Bang Theory as a possible theory to explain the fact of the expansion of the universe.

And anyway, why do we need to benefit from any scientific discoveries? What's wrong with wanting to know how the universe works for the sake curiosity and wonder?

EDIT: I noticed after posting that Alpha500 has reconsidered his position. This post should be disregarded (by Alpha500 at least, anyway! :) )

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back