Elementary Basketball Game

Tailgunner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been shooting our son's basketball games for a while now and wanted to get some feed back.

D800
Nikon 70-200mm VR II
130mm
F/4.5
ISO 3200
1/160

What kind of post processing did you do? I ask because the noise could be reduced some and the white balance could be fine tuned. It's really not the best position to get the action. I would get close to the baseline. This year I shot most games from the baseline just underneath the basket. I know some places won't let you in there, but photos of kids backs aren't too interesting.

A suggestion I have for shooting from the sidelines is wait until the kids are going up for the shot. Get them in mid jump with the defenders and basket in the frame. Gyms are tough to shoot in. Keep practicing and posting them. I'd love to see more.

What kind of post processing did you do? I ask because the noise could be reduced some and the white balance could be fine tuned. It's really not the best position to get the action. I would get close to the baseline. This year I shot most games from the baseline just underneath the basket. I know some places won't let you in there, but photos of kids backs aren't too interesting.

A suggestion I have for shooting from the sidelines is wait until the kids are going up for the shot. Get them in mid jump with the defenders and basket in the frame. Gyms are tough to shoot in. Keep practicing and posting them. I'd love to see more.

Thanks, this shot was more of a sample. I was hanging out near the other basket on the opposite end in order to capture shots when his team scored. The gym doesn't allow much room in between the wall and baseline though. So I generally stand in the corner most of the time.

Anyhow, this shot was taken in Jpeg and mostly done in camera. I did do some noise reduction and mild sharpening. I was afraid of making the image too soft though if I got nutty with the noise reduction. So I ended up leaving some noise.

Ether the file is really badly compressed or the image is out of focus.

Your way to far away, get in closer, fill the frame with a person or two not nine of them.

You should probably also increase your shutter speed, this will better stop the action and help with the focus issue

Ether the file is really badly compressed or the image is out of focus.

Your way to far away, get in closer, fill the frame with a person or two not nine of them.

You should probably also increase your shutter speed, this will better stop the action and help with the focus issue

Thanks, so should I open my Aperture way up more or crank up my ISO? I was shooting around F/4.5-5.6 and ISO 1600/3200.

1/160 sec is going to kill your sharpness - it just isn't fast enough to stop motion blur. Try aiming for 1/500 or faster ... or wait for moments of relatively slow action (top of jump, dribble in one spot, ready to pass). Given the darkness of some gyms that may or may not be possible with your gear.
In our gym I'm up around ISO 8000, f2.8, 1/500

My other comment is how do these kids know who's on their team :lol:
The tops are either black or white
The shorts are white, maroon or black!!! Just gotta love kid's sport!!!!!

Last edited:
I don't really mind this shot, the background is clean, the art on the wall fits. Generally it may not be considered a great basketball shot, but it has some nice elements to it.

so should I open my Aperture way up more or crank up my ISO? I was shooting around F/4.5-5.6 and ISO 1600/3200.

Both. Faster shutter speed to better capture the action and wider aperture to help isolate the subject and blur out the background.

Most reactions

Back