Elephant's eye

Carla_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My daughter didn't want me to take her picture at the zoo, so I had fun with the animals. How's this one, comp and exposure-wise? Any cc is appreciated.

elephanteyeweb.jpg

Thanks!

Carla

I'm not too fond of it. It's kind of hard to tell what it is, and even then it's just somewhat uninteresting. Maybe a larger crop with the entire elephant? Or a much closer shot of the actual eye.

I think if you turn it to black and white, increase the fill light slider, it will turn out better.

I think if you turn it to black and white, increase the fill light slider, it will turn out better.

I agree, you should have gotten the elephants head in the frame not just half it feels like a weird crop and hard to tell what it is from far.

Like this, what do you think?

elephanteyeweb.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Kevin, I see your point. The elephant wasn't that close and my 200 mm wasn't enought to zoom in on just the eye. I will play around with a tighter crop.

Thierry, I agree with the sadness. I have no idea how old that elephant is, but I think he's been there ages.

I like the idea of black and white. That b&w photo does bring out the sadness even more! I will mess around with the original a bit and boost up the contrast.

Thanks again!

I think holding the camera in portrait orientation would have worked better for this one, showing a bit more of the trunk and less dead space.

As suggested vertical and closer might be better, also a bit more contrast would be helpful.

As aside note when did the term "dead space" start to appear on this site. I have noticed it lately. Folks it is called negative space and can be a valuable asset to a composition

Thanks for the idea of using b&w. How's this? I adjusted the contrast and used Topaz denoise.

elephanteyebwweb.jpg

Most reactions

Back