The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In August there was an enormous flood that passed through Ellicott City and destroyed all the businesses on Main St (which is the main street). It is still blocked off for cleaning up and probably half or more of the businesses won't reopen.
The flood came down the street from the left and, at its highest, the water was up to the second story.
The flood ripped off the clock and dumped 20 cars into the river (just past the railroad bridge).

upload_2016-10-2_16-52-43.png

upload_2016-10-2_16-56-33.png

All the debris is gone and the street looks less destroyed now. All the asphalt and brick sidewalks on the other side of the street (invisible behind dumpsters) was peeled up and dumped into river.
Several buildings have been slated for demolition and the future of the entire town is up in the air.
Luckily, only three people drowned, swept off the street by the water.

upload_2016-10-2_16-56-50.png

This video was taken from a window at the top of the street, perhaps 200 yards up hill.

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-2_16-56-41.png
    upload_2016-10-2_16-56-41.png
    491 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
From the grey house on the upper left all the way to the river behind me, the very small Tiber River (or Tiber Creek) runs through a channel under the houses and into the Patapsco.

There is a strong possibility that at least the three buildings on the left and several more at the top of the street may have to be torn down.

upload_2016-10-2_17-21-28.png

That's terrible. :(

Just this past weekend, the main street was opened to traffic.
It is the only through street in the town that is built in this very narrow valley.

The arrow is where the shots where taken

upload_2016-10-17_17-32-33.png

Who decided that a good thing to do with a river that overflowed it's banks is to fill it up with asphalt and bricks? The video had a lot of laughing and a festival like feel to it more than a disaster. People seemed to be amused by it rather than distraught.
I hope you managed ok.

interesting. thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back