Empire State Building at Sunrise

otherprof

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taken with a pocket size Canon, SD600, in Sept. 2010. I offer both the out-of-camera and edited versions. The edited version could be an illustration in a children’s book, “Good Morning, New York!” I just did a reversion to the original, and was surprised and pleased.
After
46A4A4EF-D208-4022-B68D-6E3399CA7959.jpeg

Before
E64A1C25-85F8-46E4-8E11-DB39822BEDB2.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting edit. Are the buildings plumb? They seem to be leaning. Also, the street light deflects from the main subject of the Empire building. Nice shot.

Interesting edit. Are the buildings plumb? They seem to be leaning. Also, the street light deflects from the main subject of the Empire building. Nice shot.
Thanks for the comments Alan. I thouight thought the lamp was needed as a counterweight to the sun, on the opposite side of that diagonal.

The light keeps pulling my eye away from the Empire State Bldg. But that's my opinion, If it works for you, that's what counts.

I love this!!! But I do agree with Alan about the street light. It would be a graphic beauty with only the simple outlines of the buildings. The colors are gorgeous! Fun stuff!

Nice set but (and sorry to say) the building is leaning to the right, easy fix. I think there's a nice contrast between the two pics with #1 having a fantasy appearance and #2 looks like much more realistic and straight out of the camera. Nice work. 🤠

I don't normally like the presets that make photos look like paintings or drawings, but this one reminds me of the old 1940s Looney Tunes animation art and so I've got a bit of a soft spot for it. Plus it's really well done.

Oddly, I feel like the lamp in the SOOC shot is distracting, but I really like it in the edited version.

I love the edit - it also reminds me of poster art. I also like the lamp.

Nice set but (and sorry to say) the building is leaning to the right, easy fix. I think there's a nice contrast between the two pics with #1 having a fantasy appearance and #2 looks like much more realistic and straight out of the camera. Nice work. 🤠
Thanks for the comments Alan. I thouight thought the lamp was needed as a counterweight to the sun, on the opposite side of that diagonal.
Now I see what you and Alan were saying about the tilt of the building! - and now I can’t not see it! I’ll fix it on the computer tomorrow.

I don't normally like the presets that make photos look like paintings or drawings, but this one reminds me of the old 1940s Looney Tunes animation art and so I've got a bit of a soft spot for it. Plus it's really well done.

Oddly, I feel like the lamp in the SOOC shot is distracting, but I really like it in the edited version.
The Looney Toons reference fits with my children’s book idea. I think this was all done in Photos with no recourse to presets, but I may be wrong - I first worked on it in 2010 and got to this version this morning. And still have to get back to straightening the Empire State Building tomorrow!

Thanks for your comments. I think it must be the color of the lamp that gives the scene more balance. I agree about its value in each shot.

Thanks for your comments. I think it must be the color of the lamp that gives the scene more balance. I agree about its value in each shot.
Yes - in the edited version, it mirrors the color and the shape of the sun and provides balance. I feel it also provides some depth and texture in both shots. And it might be a little bit distracting in the original but really, not that much. Maybe because instead of mirroring the sun on the other side of the shot, like in the edited one, it instead is the same color as the reflection of light on the upper right of the original photo, making it feel slightly unbalanced. Both those bright spots are warmer than the rest of the colors, so it pulls the eye towards the right.

Yes - in the edited version, it mirrors the color and the shape of the sun and provides balance. I feel it also provides some depth and texture in both shots. And it might be a little bit distracting in the original but really, not that much. Maybe because instead of mirroring the sun on the other side of the shot, like in the edited one, it instead is the same color as the reflection of light on the upper right of the original photo, making it feel slightly unbalanced. Both those bright spots are warmer than the rest of the colors, so it pulls the eye towards the right.
I agree. I find it interesting that so much of what is in the image was not thought of by me when I took the shot. I frequently find myself surprised by the final image. So much of my photographing is of the "hey, look at that!" type, rather than trying to make an idea real.

Most reactions

Back