"Energy"

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Comments and critiques please? I am learning to love flash photography, as i seem to be getting better at it. The setup was nikon d200 w/ nikon 80-200 2.8D and nikon su800, an old vivitar a foot infront of the camera facing the ground, and a nikon sb600 camera left, slightly behind the cup and with a beauty dish on it. Was that clear? That sounded muddled; feel free to ask about the lighting or anything else, and most of all, lemme know what you think!

snyderenergy.jpg

Regards,
Jake

I think the lighting on the carafe and the top of the cup is great, the shadow on the table right of the cup not as much. I haven't even ventured into this area so take it as a casual observer ;)

I think the lighting on the carafe and the top of the cup is great, the shadow on the table right of the cup not as much. I haven't even ventured into this area so take it as a casual observer ;)

The shadow bothered me as well, but i do not have my second sb600 yet so i had to make do with what i had. Thank you. :greenpbl:

I would try cropping it really tight around the left and bottom of the cup; that would bring the splash closer to a thirds intersection, cut out the distracting bokeh in the top left, and make the shadow less distracting. The rest of the bokeh would have to be cloned out; it's just distracting IMO.

As far as lighting though, I think you did a great job. I like the mood it sets. Nice job!

I would try cropping it really tight around the left and bottom of the cup; that would bring the splash closer to a thirds intersection, cut out the distracting bokeh in the top left, and make the shadow less distracting. The rest of the bokeh would have to be cloned out; it's just distracting IMO.

As far as lighting though, I think you did a great job. I like the mood it sets. Nice job!

I shall try that when i get home as i am at work now, but thank you! I have been working very hard on mastering my lighting, and its nice to know im getting better.

Regards,
Jake

This morning when I said this, I was viewing the photos on my iPhone, which made them a bit darker. The out-of-focus stuff in the background isn't nearly as distracting as I thought. I still think it could benefit from a crop though. :)

Jake: I like what you've done, but (there's always one of those, right?) if you had put the beauty dish higher, the shadow would be less prominent. And i would have put a white reflector in front of the cup to bounce some light back to it which would also helped with the shadow.

Don

Sorry this time Jake:guilty:
I find following problems
1. Too much centered
2. No activity like splash
3. something that glitters on the left is a terrific distraction

PS: just a thought; how about showing the poured liquid overflows and spread around? as a different story? ;)

Sorry this time Jake:guilty:
I find following problems
1. Too much centered
2. No activity like splash
3. something that glitters on the left is a terrific distraction

PS: just a thought; how about showing the poured liquid overflows and spread around? as a different story? ;)

There is a splash...

Regards,
Jake

Jake: I like what you've done, but (there's always one of those, right?) if you had put the beauty dish higher, the shadow would be less prominent. And i would have put a white reflector in front of the cup to bounce some light back to it which would also helped with the shadow.

Don

The beauty dish was resting on a set of books, and was as high as it could go. But i will definately think of that next time i try this. And as for the reflector, i thought about that after the shot. So that is in my plans for the reshoot as well.

Regards,
Jake

This morning when I said this, I was viewing the photos on my iPhone, which made them a bit darker. The out-of-focus stuff in the background isn't nearly as distracting as I thought. I still think it could benefit from a crop though. :)

Haha iphones and ipod touches don't do photo's justice, thats fer sher!

Regards,
Jake

You should inquire about shooting ads for dunkin:lol:

Haha with my luck they would sue for me using their cup without asking or something. :greenpbl:

Here's an edit with the crop I was talking about.

snyderenergy%5B1%5D.jpg

Most reactions

Back