It's a Spring Cactus!! Comments and Critiques Please

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Two flash's were used, one camera left behind subject, and one camera right on the direct side of the object. Shot with a D7000 and 105mm Macro, SU800 commander, and two sb600's. Flash CL was in a 8" beauty dish, and flash CR was in a reflective umbrella.

pickles2.jpg

Regards,
Jake

It must be that un-inspiring. I was looking for comments and critiques on lighting and such...

DBJ, the image is inspiring - the colours are good and the flowers that are in focus are nice and sharp. It is just that I, for one, am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of lighting you have used for this image. My only nit would be that it would have been nice if more of the plant and its flowers had been in focus.

WesternGuy

DBJ, the image is inspiring - the colours are good and the flowers that are in focus are nice and sharp. It is just that I, for one, am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of lighting you have used for this image. My only nit would be that it would have been nice if more of the plant and its flowers had been in focus.

WesternGuy

Just because i used to flashes, or because you can tell I used artificial light?

Jake

Personally, I think you framed the Cactus a little to tight top and bottom. Since we can see the back half of the flower pot it makes sense to include the whole top of the pot and the base of the plant. I would have preferred the whole plant in focus. Also the cactus leaves are generally too dark underneath the flowers. The 3rd flower in isn't properly lighted. Looks like it's in the shadows.

As a side note, please either remove, or decrease the size of you watermark, and move it to a corner. Why do you feel you need one?

seems like an awful lot of set up for a little flower shot. you might try experimenting with one flash and a reflector, and maybe move the flash more on top of the subject to create some depth/pools of light in the plant. its a nice exposure, a little changes to the lighting might give it that extra pop you are looking for.

Why the SU-800? Can't the d7000 be used in commander mode?

Technically, it is a nice shot. The way the blooms are going off in all different directions leaves me feeling kind of tense, if you know what I mean. I think I would enjoy are real macro shot of one of those beautiful blooms. Just my humble opinion

Why the SU-800? Can't the d7000 be used in commander mode?

It does, but the SU800 commands sooooo so so so much easier. Click one or two buttons and i just changed the power of my flash's. Also, i can always see the flash power without having to go through the menu's. And, most importantly, I don't have to worry about the onboard flash reflecting off something(i used to do a lot of aquarium photography).

Jake

seems like an awful lot of set up for a little flower shot. you might try experimenting with one flash and a reflector, and maybe move the flash more on top of the subject to create some depth/pools of light in the plant. its a nice exposure, a little changes to the lighting might give it that extra pop you are looking for.

I often over-do it. I find it quite fun, and enjoy getting the lighting exactly how i want it.

ttt one last time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back