Entering a contest, need help deciding what to enter.

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am entering a free large format contest which is something a don't typically do. I can submit 3-5 images, judged by Drew Nikonowicz, and I have two separate sets I am debating between. Which set would you prefer to see? I have my nit picks about them all and almost feel like scraping the entire idea but I would also like to step outside my comfort zone and do this.

Set 1:

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture33.JPG

Set 2:

Set2.1.JPG

Set2.2.JPG

Set2.3.JPG

Set2.4.JPG

Set2.5.JPG

A large format contest. Set 2 displays movements...whereas set 1 could have been shot with a fixed body camera.

My preference is set 1.

A large format contest. Set 2 displays movements...whereas set 1 could have been shot with a fixed body camera.

Yes sir. That was one of my thoughts as well. I think set 1 is better photography over all, however, set 2 displays the movements that are associated with large format.

Set 2 certainly shows off movements...... but to me, they're a distraction.

Honestly, I am not a fan of movements in the way that they have been used in set 2.

Set one has the better emotion.

Set two with respect to the op looks like something I would use for examples of movements and DoF capabilities.

The movement works well in the 2nd and 5th images of Set 2. It doesn't do a whole heck of a lot in the 1st, but I also don't think it detracts - it's still a strong image. For the 3rd and 4th, it does nothing.

The first set I won't comment on. Portraiture generally doesn't interest me so I couldn't tell you if they are more compelling or not compared to other more traditional portraits. I mean, I can tell they are well done, so I don't want this to sound like a criticism, but in terms of what I would rather see? Well, yeah, they are pictures of people. Okay.

I would personally prefer to see the second set. I like the evidence of movement. In general, I skip over portraits and if I were walking around a gallery, I would be mich more likely to stop at the second set to look more closely than I would at the first set. But again, you might consider replacing the 3rd and 4th images.

Thank you all for the thoughts! The deadline is at the end of the month so I should have a couple more shoots I can choose from. Right now its a little limited as I haven't shot anything in months and I think all of last year I did like 4 or 5 shoots total. :048:

They're all very nicely printed. Especially 2nd and 3rd image.

I think either one is fine. The 1st is going to get more likes in general. However, the second set is more creative. You really can't go wrong with either. I think it boils down to what you think the competive edge is with the judges.

Set 1. I think the second shot in set 2 makes it weaker, if it was more along the lines of the others it'd have been a harder call.

Most reactions

Back