entery level dSLRs...

nBenita

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everybody, im looking into buying a new camera.
This will be my first camera although im retouching portraits for some time now using PS, and has always been into photography. im looking into buying an entry level dSLR that will fill all of my very basic needs as an amateur and maybe a bit later get me some money shooting in parties for online websites . Ive been looking into the D40, D40X and the Canon EOS 350D / Digital Rebel XT and i cant stop wondering which will give the best Bang for the Buck... so maybe u could help.
All i can say is that my main subjects will be people, portraits to be exact, probably allot of dark lighting (nothing a good external flash wouldent solve =] ) hope that can help u, help me, make the best choice =\ .

-Thx allot, Nir.

Well, as almost everyone says, it's a personal preference. Nikon and Canon are head-to-head and it's a personal choice. It doesn't matter if you're doing portraits or wildlife, that's up to the lens, not the body. Hope you make the right choice. I think the cameras that you have in mind are all good choices.

I just want to mention that on the d40 or d40x there is no autofocus motor in the body so your must get an autofocus lens if you want autofocus. If you do decide to go with nikon you might want to have a look at the nikon d80, its not much of a price jump and youll get the autofocus body.

I just want to mention that on the d40 or d40x there is no autofocus motor in the body so your must get an autofocus lens if you want autofocus. If you do decide to go with nikon you might want to have a look at the nikon d80, its not much of a price jump and youll get the autofocus body.
Im aware of this.
BHP sell them both with a kit lense that has a motor on it.

Just go with the body that is most comfortable for you to use. All the features are practically the same so just focus on the functionality.

I think you can get banged pretty good with a d80. Prices may be dropping a bit in a few months.

i went through the exact same thing about 6 months ago. after about 40 hours of research, i came to the conclusion of:

d40 > xt and xti

why?

well, it was not a hard decision once i went into the shop and felt each camera personally. the d40 for one, felt much better in my hands, the button layout is far more organized and easier to use, the lcd screen is larger, but most importantly of all, the STOCK LENS on the d40 far out performes the stock lens on the xti. I took 2 side by side pictures in the store and the difference was shocking. although the d40 had fewer mega pixels, the clarity of the picture was far superior.

now to compare the d40 and the d40x: the most noticable difference between these two is the amount of mega pixels. the d40 has 6 while the d40x has 8. now, for me, as well as most other photographers, 6 is sufficient unless you plan on printing posters. other than that, the d40x has very little to compensate for the $200 increase.

bottom line: take a look at each camera at your local shop and get a feel for them. this experience may be what wins you over as it did with me. Oh, and the 18-200mm vr lens is a good 1st upgrade ;)

Hey everybody, im looking into buying a new camera. This will be my first camera...
Realize the enormity of this choice. Once you select Nikon or Canon, that choice will virtually follow you forever. Qualitywise and featurewise they are almost identical but nothing is interchangeable between the two. So todays selection of, say, an inexpensive used $150 Canon camera body, then a $200 lens, or two or three and before you realize it, you have amassed a closet of many thousands of dollars of Canon photo goods.

I am happy to have taken the Nikon route in 1964. A year later my brother chose a Canon. Today we are still both adding to our acquisitions of like brand. When I go digital SLR, it will be Nikon...Canon is out of the question because of my large and expensive collection of Nikon lenses.

Choosing Kodak film now and get Fuji film next time...but not so in the camera world. My input is for you to pause a moment before taking the plunge. Weigh everything into that all important brand choice which could include friends (loanding equipt, getting razzed), relatives (hand me downs equipt), dealer proximity, then focus on models, price point, dealer, lenses.

actually, DO forget about pentax... but SONY on the other hand, they have a very nice amature dslr wich i think is being discontinued soon so you could watch for a price drop possibly soon. and by the way, just kidding about the pentax thing, lol, my decision on which camera to get was between the sony alpha, and the pentax k10d

actually, DO forget about pentax... but SONY on the other hand, they have a very nice amature dslr wich i think is being discontinued soon so you could watch for a price drop possibly soon. and by the way, just kidding about the pentax thing, lol, my decision on which camera to get was between the sony alpha, and the pentax k10d

and which will that be?

Also take a look at Used Canon 20D's. They are pretty cheap now and are fantastic camera's. Canon uses a CMOS sensor which is much better in low light compared to sony and nikon's CCD sensor. This forum's classifieds sections is pretty small, so make sure you hit up Fredmiranda's and also Canon's Photography on the Net Forums

Others have mentioned it before, but make sure you take a look at the lenses offered and the prices of them. Sony for instance has really expensive lenses, so you end up buy more third party stuff. Nikon and Canon are pretty similar. I have put more then 100k shutter clicks on my first 20d and it keeps going strong.

Realize the enormity of this choice. Once you select Nikon or Canon, that choice will virtually follow you forever. Qualitywise and featurewise they are almost identical but nothing is interchangeable between the two. So todays selection of, say, an inexpensive used $150 Canon camera body, then a $200 lens, or two or three and before you realize it, you have amassed a closet of many thousands of dollars of Canon photo goods.

I am happy to have taken the Nikon route in 1964. A year later my brother chose a Canon. Today we are still both adding to our acquisitions of like brand. When I go digital SLR, it will be Nikon...Canon is out of the question because of my large and expensive collection of Nikon lenses.

Choosing Kodak film now and get Fuji film next time...but not so in the camera world. My input is for you to pause a moment before taking the plunge. Weigh everything into that all important brand choice which could include friends (loanding equipt, getting razzed), relatives (hand me downs equipt), dealer proximity, then focus on models, price point, dealer, lenses.

Yep, what he said! "To best know what to do, first decide what you want to have done."

mike

Also take a look at Used Canon 20D's. They are pretty cheap now and are fantastic camera's. Canon uses a CMOS sensor which is much better in low light compared to sony and nikon's CCD sensor. This forum's classifieds sections is pretty small, so make sure you hit up Fredmiranda's and also Canon's Photography on the Net Forums

Others have mentioned it before, but make sure you take a look at the lenses offered and the prices of them. Sony for instance has really expensive lenses, so you end up buy more third party stuff. Nikon and Canon are pretty similar. I have put more then 100k shutter clicks on my first 20d and it keeps going strong.
I live outside the US, and second hand bargains in the SLR market are quite rare =\. plus, i dont really like the idea of putting so much money on a used item cus u never know how messed up it is.

Thank u so much for all ur help!

This is something you need to keep in mind if you are serious about it. My parents used Canon and that is how I ended up with them because I had experience with it and like what they have. So much to think about when it comes to buying a new camera.

Something else to keep in mind, you might want to get just a body and upgrade your glass right away to something other than the kit. The Canon kit lens (18-55) isn't terrible but it isn't the best either.

Most reactions

Back