Entry Level DSLR Suggestions Please!

Pocahontas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all!

I am looking to upgrade my current humble camera for an entry level DSLR, and I'm looking for suggestions.

My price range is between $500-$700. Granted I'm a college student, I do not have "money to kill", so at this point I do not have the budget for lots of lenses and attachments. However, I am looking for a decent "base" camera, so I can slowly upgrade and manipulate my equipment when possible, without having to buy a whole new camera every other year (I hope that makes sense!)

As for subject matter, I typically shoot portraits and architecture/buildings. I also do a majority of my photography outdoors in natural light.

I really want something were I have much more manual control over the level of focus, and have the ability to unfocus backgrounds or other objects more easily.

I'm excited to hear your suggestions! And thanks :)

If you're looking for an entry level Camera, I am biased towards Canon. Mainly because any lens you get for it in the Canon lineup will autofocus on the camera. It's not as backwards compatible as the Nikon lens lineup, but their entry level bodies do not contain a focus motor. So it somewhat limits what lenses you may want to use. (The lenses with Focus motors are often more expensive)

However, regardless of which you choose... Canon or Nikon will both suit you fine. Both manufacturers make good cameras for beginners.

You could look at the T1i, or T2i. Or perhaps if video is not an issue for you, a Rebel XS, or XSi may serve you well... And you could put some of your money towards additional glass.

Canon T3 body + lens package

The Canon EOS series has good choices for your price range. Many lenses you purchase in the future (if staying with the EOS line up to and including the PRO stuff) will work and you can grow with the series.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will definately look into them & research more. I have heard of the Canon Rebel now multiple times, so it's at the top of my list. Do you have any suggestions on who/where to buy from? Should I go to a store or online?

Both of Tylers selections and mine above are who many of us buy from. Although you may be able to go to a local store and put your hands on one (chain or box store), it will most likely be much more expensive.

I cant say one is better than the other (B&H or Adorama) as sometimes I mix them up - Many many purchases over the years, very reliable and hard to beat on price in many cases.

Both do have very competitive prices when you compare them to the box stores - thanks for sharing those links!

I am still a little unclear to what "Refurbished" means, listed on some cameras from Adorama?

Both do have very competitive prices when you compare them to the box stores - thanks for sharing those links!

I am still a little unclear to what "Refurbished" means, listed on some cameras from Adorama?

Refurbished anything means that the gear was inspected and repaired (if need be) by a licensed facility. Buying refurbished gear is low risk, and something I'd recommend if you can get a good deal.

Buy a like new Pentax on ebay with a 3- 4 thousand shutter releases. Then some clean used lenses. WA and a tele.

Actually, Refurbished IMO is much better than buying brand new. Imagine this, a New camera comes out of the manufacturing facility, is "quickly tested for a few seconds" by a person and then boxed up. But in a refurbished camera, components which are not working are replaced and the entire camera is usually completely tested! Also, the company doing the refurbishing is usually a third party company whose reputation is at stake if they send out an item before completely testing it.

However, if a seller on eBay says its refurbished, I have no faith in that. But Adorama, B&H and other reputable companies, I'd say go for it. I've bought several refurbished electronic items and yet to come across one that did not work well. Good luck!

I'm using a Nikon d5100 with the 18-55 mm kit lens. It has everything a beginner needs including room to grow.

For Canon Rebel series camera's, believe it or not, I recommend COSTCO or Best Buy. COSTCO has great package deals sometimes including a couple lenses. Best buy has the 18 months same as cash deal. Try checking them out. Good luck.

Okay, this may be way too generic of a question to ask (that probably requires a very complicated answer), but could anyone give me a simple run down on lenses, and what I should be looking for? For example, what is the difference between a 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens?

Most reactions

Back