Entry level dslr?

Lastly, while the 7000 is an excellent camera it's days are numbered as it is getting long of tooth.

Indeed. When that tooth breaks off by Nikon introducing the D7100 all D7000 units out in the wild will stop working.... They're all programmed to permanently ERR on the release date of the D7100.... The rumor I heard is that this date is... 12/21/12...!

Good one!!! My point, too much price for tech that's about to get rolled over. IMO, the 7000 is a bench mark camera within Nikon's line up. It really makes a serious arguement to hobbiest, "Do i really need a full size sensor?" I believe it will become iconic, much like the F100. That said, some time nxt year when the 7000S is introduced the price on the 7000 will drop like a rock. Just as it has on the 5100. For those who don't have, or do have but have worn out, that's the time to buy.

Again, imo, the price difference between the 5100 on sale and a 7000 at it's current level makes the 5100 the better buy for those not needing the 7000's advanced feature set. Which covers a lot of people.

BTW, the other day my F100 went into permanent ERR. It has been so long since this has happened I couldn't remember what to do. I wrecked two rolls of film before it finally dawned on me to check the aperture ring on the lense I was using. DAH!!!! Not in the lowest setting, which always has the camera tell me "Yo dude ERR!!!"

TJC said:
Again, imo, the price difference ... makes the 5100 the better buy for those not needing the 7000's advanced feature set. Which covers a lot of people.

That's why I bought a D5100 for my parents who don't need those features but want the IQ.

Lastly, while the 7000 is an excellent camera it's days are numbered as it is getting long of tooth.
Oh?
So, what's up with the D90? Everyone said the D7000 was the D90's replacement.

From what i've read the 7000 wasn't officially the D90's replacement. From Nikon's POV the D90 is still a marketable camera in it's own right. They will sell one to anyone who doesn't know any better. That's not to say that the D90 is a bad camera. Just one that has been outdated by newer, and for most, better choices.

Nikon has muddied the marketing waters within it's camera lineup. Using the way back machine, in the days of film things were much simpler to figure out. Nikon had three camera lines. The completely manual FM series, the consumer to prosumer AF series and one pro camera. The pros had it the easiest, buy the F4/5/6 and you were done. Serious amateurs had it easy as well, as time went on the 8008, f90, 90s and then F100. Today, different story. The D90 stands as an excellent camera. But for less money the D5100, D3200, and even D3100, either outmatch it or give it a serious run for it's money. The D7000 clearly out matches it for just a little more out of pocket. And to really confuse the issue the sensor on the 5100/7000 is better than what is found on the D300s. And on it goes in the camera marketing wars.

.... every lense Nikon produces and has produced over the past several years comes with an internal focus motor.

What a load of drivel - totally untrue.

These lenses which do not have built-in focus motors are still being made and are in the current lens line-up.

14mm 2.8 D
16mm 2.8 D
20mm 2.8 D
24-85 2.8 D
24 mm 2.8 D
24mm PCE
28mm 2.8 D
35mm 2.0D
45mm PCE micro
50mm 1.8 D (one of the best lens values from anyone)
50mm 1.2
60mm 2.8 D micro
80-400 D VR
80-200 2.8 D (outstanding zoom)
85mm 1.8D
85mm 1.4 D (the famous cream machine)
85mm 2.8 micro
105mm 2.0 DC
200mm 4.0 micro

(from Nikon Canada website - today)

.... every lense Nikon produces and has produced over the past several years comes with an internal focus motor.

What a load of drivel - totally untrue.

These lenses which do not have built-in focus motors are still being made and are in the current lens line-up.

14mm 2.8 D
16mm 2.8 D
20mm 2.8 D
24-85 2.8 D
24 mm 2.8 D
24mm PCE
28mm 2.8 D
35mm 2.0D
45mm PCE micro
50mm 1.8 D (one of the best lens values from anyone)
50mm 1.2
60mm 2.8 D micro
80-400 D VR
80-200 2.8 D (outstanding zoom)
85mm 1.8D
85mm 1.4 D (the famous cream machine)
85mm 2.8 micro
105mm 2.0 DC
200mm 4.0 micro

(from Nikon Canada website - today)

You are so kind!!! My fault for not wording my post more carefully. I meant to say every newly introduced lense Nikon manufactures is AF-S. This has been true for at least a few years. But, more to the point, the lense compatibilty issue is a non starter for someone building a system from scratch today. While many of the old AF-D lenses are wonderful, the key word is old. AS time goes on Nikon will replace it's entire lineup with the new. Like it or not AF-S is the present and the future. And, the cool thing about it is allows someone starting out to buy a low end body and build.

Patrice, knock yourself out researching the intro dates on your list of lenses!!!

Indeed. When that tooth breaks off by Nikon introducing the D7100 all D7000 units out in the wild will stop working.... They're all programmed to permanently ERR on the release date of the D7100.... The rumor I heard is that this date is... 12/21/12...!

If memory serves, 12/21/2012 is the date the Mayan calendar predicts the world will end. And here I just bought a new camera.

If memory serves, 12/21/2012 is the date the Mayan calendar predicts the world will end. And here I just bought a new camera.

Bummer!

That still gives you two weeks to take as many pix as you can!!!! Enjoy!!!

I think the Mayan's got it wrong. 12/21/2012 is unbalanced with that zero in there. It makes totally more balanced sense that the end of the world would be a nice 12/21/2112. :study:

I think the Mayan's got it wrong. 12/21/2012 is unbalanced with that zero in there. It makes totally more balanced sense that the end of the world would be a nice 12/21/2112. :study:

Isn't there something about the date being wrong because the Mayans didn't include for day light savings which ends up changing the date.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back