Entry Level DSLR

What DSLR below would best suit my needs (below)?

• Nikon D3300/3200

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Nikon D5300/5200

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Canon 60D

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Canon 650D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (State Below which Camera)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DJM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I'm new here so bear with me if i dont understand at first, also I'm sorry if this question has been repeated many times (Im sure it must have!).

Im looking for a entry level DSLR. It needs to have the main features and be relatively easy to use, as well as some 'growing room' so that once I get comfortable with it I am able to become a better photographer and take better photos. I have been looking at Nikon and Canon and have found 4 models which I think (I may be wrong, please add your opinion) suit my needs and dont go into too high a price bracket (see the poll above). Talking about money - I would prefer to spend around £400 and definately not any more than £500 for a Body and a kit lens.
The type of photos I would be taking would be varied, from Landscape to Urban to Action/Sport, (No specific type).

Last edited:
My vote in that price range is for the 3200 or 5200. But the 5200 is quite a lot more than the 3200 so I find it odd you included both. If you're just starting out, I'd jump for a 3200 and spend the rest of your budget on gear.

Just my .2c

Look at a refurb and you'll have a solid chuck of cash left over.

I voted for the Canon 60D, based on feature set.

My vote in that price range is for the 3200 or 5200. But the 5200 is quite a lot more than the 3200 so I find it odd you included both. If you're just starting out, I'd jump for a 3200 and spend the rest of your budget on gear.

Just my .2c

Look at a refurb and you'll have a solid chuck of cash left over.

thanks for the response Matt, I included the 5200 as it is in my price range on ebay. :wink:

Does the spec difference between the Canon 60D and the Nikon D3200 really matter in reality?

The 60d has better autofocus and faster frames per second. it is better built and has more direct controls. it would be the nicer camera to use.

I recommend any used Nikon entry-level DSLR and a used, but not kit, Nikon lens that fit into your budget.
£400 is about $685 USD.
£500 is about $855 USD.

I recommend any used Nikon entry-level DSLR and a used, but not kit, Nikon lens that fit into your budget

Thanks for the suggestion, if i was going to buy a lens separate, which lens would you reccomend for my needs?

Does the spec difference between the Canon 60D and the Nikon D3200 really matter in reality?

I DUNNO...I owned and shot a Canon 20D and a Canon 5D from 2006 to 2012, and to "me" the few times I handled Majeed's 60D, I was impressed by 1) the viewfinder image and 2) the brightness of the LED readouts in BRIGHT, beach-level summer sun and 3) the horizon-leveling and the flip screen and the exposure simulation mode and 4) I have seen the photos. I liked the fit, build, and finish and FEEL of the 60D, and I "got it" immediately. Yesterday, I gave a 4 hour photo lesson to a student and she had a Nikon D5100. I did not like the camera much, in any number of ways. With the 70D out now, the 60D's price has been lowered, and I think it's a good "value". I shot the D5100 and was not impressed witn what Nikon has done to this class of camera com pard to "earlier" models, or the the pro Nikons I am more familiar with.

My comments have nothing to do with the specification sheets of either camera. I know intuitively the Nikon has the better sensor, but having handled the 60D and shot it just a bit, I think it has the better overall, total "body", and the better control and design ethos. To "me", the 60D is a class higher than the 5000-x series Nikons, which are "lower-class" models; the D60 is more like the D7000...an entirely different price bracket model than a D5200 or D5300.

I gotta say, for that budget, 60D. It's a camera you're not likely to outgrow after three months.

If action/sports shooting is going to be a big part of your common shooting situations then I'd probably go with Derrel here and recommend the 60d, but it's a real toss up between that and a D5200. If you are shooting RAW the 60D will have an advantage with it's larger buffer, allowing you to shoot longer in a continuouos burst. Often when I'm using my D5200 if I feel I might need a longer, faster burst I'll switch over to JPG Mode so I can fire a full 5 FPS per second for pretty much as long as I need, but I don't find myself doing this too often - generally I just try to anticpate the action better when possible.

I think the 5200 has a better AFsystem that the 60d overall, but the 60d's AF is still pretty capable so it's not a night and day difference. So for sports, yup I'd probably lean toward the 60d with the proviso that your shooting in good lighting conditions and can afford a telephoto lens with enough reach so you won't really be cropping the photos too heavily.

If your shooting in poor lighting conditions (say gym/indoors or night games) or will most likely need to crop on a lot of your photos, then I think I'd give the edge to the 5200 here despite it's smaller buffer.

Hope that helps

Thanks a lot to both of you, Robbins.photo and Derrel, for taking the time to write a detailed overview of two of the camera's. I think now im leaning more toward the Canon 60D despite the spec differences, it seems to be, and looks more like a more professional camera than the others with the flip out touchscreen etc. I will definately reffer to these posts when I'm more close to purchasing. I have yet to go to a shop and feel the cameras, as I know that that is the deal breaker more over what specs each camera has.

Thanks Again

Thanks a lot to both of you, Robbins.photo and Derrel, for taking the time to write a detailed overview of two of the camera's. I think now im leaning more toward the Canon 60D despite the spec differences, it seems to be, and looks more like a more professional camera than the others with the flip out touchscreen etc. I will definately reffer to these posts when I'm more close to purchasing. I have yet to go to a shop and feel the cameras, as I know that that is the deal breaker more over what specs each camera has.

Thanks Again

Well for the record I am a Nikon shooter - in fact I own 2 x D5200's myself and I love them both, but then again the shooting situations I normally use them in are a bit different than the shooting situations you specified, so I'm thinking maybe the 60d might turn out to be a better choice for you personally.

Ok, thats intresting. A Nikon user complimenting another brand :wink::wink::wink:

Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back