EOS 5D - Royal Mail Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to send out a big thank-you to Nicolas Alary. You saved me $650. I was really fishy about the GREAT deal on this 5D and decided to google "Royal Poste Scam" Your original post popped up and it was almost IDENTICAL to my situation. So, thanks for posting about it. I NEVER post on these forums, but I thought I should send a big thanks out for saving me money.

I too found it on Craig's list and sent an e-mail to find the sellers location. When "Bradley" replied with "London" I thought something was weird. I sent an additional e-mail requesting pictures, his best deal on the camera (to decide if it was really worth my time) and how he suggested we work out the transaction.

So here is the response e-mail from Bradley.
"The best price including shipping is $650. The kit it's unused. Obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after.I have found a way for us to complete the deal fast (3 days) and easy. The solution is Royalmail. Royalmail is the UK's national mail carrier and they will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the items .With this process you will be able to check the items before I receive the payment.Let me know if you agree with this!

Here is a link where the process is described: http://www.royalposte.com/transactions

Bradley"

Bradley included an address and phone number and it seemed pretty legit.

Until I read the link. What an incredible service. I mean really - too good. So, I wanted to know more about Royal Poste. Come to find out, there is no RoyalPoste.com and that is ultimately what got me googling.

So, thanks and I hope this helps someone else avoid this scam.

By the way, he doesn't know I'm on to him yet. Any creative ideas?

I got scammed too, if only I seen this earlier I think we might of caught them. I have some people working on this, if anyone is interested please provide proof of scam and I would like to talk more. The new scam goes exactly as prior scripts, this sicko likes to leave his signature. Please be on the look out and relay any useful information.Royal Poste emailed me with trouble shooting in seconds, should of know it was too good to be true.

Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 3:56 PM
To: Jkidd dont play
Subject:

To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Royal Mail Transaction *2HJT6P1FAW541* Payment Information
Received
Date: 12/06/08 21:39

-----Original Message-----
To:
Sent: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 1:50 am
Subject: Re: Royal Mail Transaction *2HJT6P1FAW541*
Dear James ,We have verified your tracking number: 2HJT6P1FAW541 and it's working.Use this link to track your package:http://www.royalposte.com/transactions/trackpackage.html Please Note: Tracking Number must be entered with capital characters. Nospaces, dashes or punctuation allowed. Thank you for using Royal MailLiverpool DepotSouthside, SpekeLiverpoolMerseysideL24 1YDUnited KingdomCustomer DepartmentGeneral Manager: Bill Claff--------- Original Message --------From: To: [email protected] <[email protected]>Subject: Re: Royal Mail Transaction *2HJT6P1FAW541* Payment InformationReceivedDate: 12/06/08 21:39> I entered the tracking number and it said that no tracking information canbe found. Would you please verify status?> > > -----Original Message-----> From: Support Royal Mail <[email protected]>> To: > Sent: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:29 am> Subject: Royal Mail Transaction *2HJT6P1FAW541* Payment InformationReceived> > > > Dear James,> > We have received the payment information. We will be able to ship the> package after the payment is verified. > Please allow us up to 24 hours to verify the transaction.> > Thank you for using Royal Mail> Liverpool Depot> Southside, Speke> Liverpool> Merseyside> L24 1YD> United Kingdom> Customer Department> General Manager: Bill Claff> > > > ________________________________________________> Message sent using UebiMiau 2.7.10> > > > Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie news, & more! > ________________________________________________Message sent using UebiMiau 2.7.10

Lol. royalmail.com is the only British Royal Mail website. I just reported the scam site to them.

Check This Out!!! This guy ALMOST
got me!!!

I just got a meeting set up in Liverpool with a very important client of mine.
I will arrive on Thursday this week.
Let me know where we can meet to finalize this transaction.
I can bring my iMac back with me saving the 80+ dollars for the wire.
And you can save the 3 day shipping...probably not cheap.

Let me know.

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Jason Pope <[email protected]> wrote:

Royal mail informed me, that your transfer does not exists!

Jason Pope

Aintree Complex, Fazakerley Hospital,

Longmoor Lane, Liverpool, Merseyside L9 7LN

United Kingdom

Ph: 07031881542

On Mon Jun 16 20:58 ,

Just got it done. Payment confirmation sent to Royal Mail.

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Jason Pope <[email protected]> wrote:
What's up with our transaction?

Jason Pope

United Kingdom

On Sat Jun 14 22:20 ,

OK, it's like mine.
New , in the box, with the specs stated.
Done deal for $ 1100.00 US.
Let me know how and when you will ship. Please provide tracking#
I will have certified funds to pay for on arrival, after a quick inspection.
You have all my contact information.

Thank you.

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Jason Pope <[email protected]> wrote:
That was a typo, and i'm sorry for that! Photos are attached.

Jason Pope
United Kingdom

On Sat Jun 14 17:55 ,

Laptop?
The 24" Mac in your add is a desktop iMac.
I have a similar unit at home and would like this one for the office.
You say it's brand new, do you have photos of it so we'll know what we are discussing.
Thank you, I await your reply.

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Jason Pope <[email protected]> wrote:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Hello,

I still have the laptop. But the thing is that I'm in the U.K. for my school (I have the machine with me).
I hope you are still interested and we can make the deal happen right away.
Obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what
we are after.
I have found a way for us to complete the deal fast (3 days) and easy. The solution is a
worldwide delivery company called Royal mail. Royal mail is similar to FedEx, DHL or UPS and they will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the laptop.
With this procedure you will be able to check the laptop before I receive the payment.

Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the laptop right away.
Let me know what you think.

Thank you![/FONT]
Jason Pope
United Kingdom

Result of my email to the real Royal Mail about the royalposte scam site:

Dear Mr Sage

Thank you for your email regarding a fake Royal Mail website. There are
a
number of these operating at any one time and as soon as we get one
closed
down another is created in its place! I will pass the information you
have
provided to our security teams in case it is not already on their
target
list.

Many thanks

Lesley Wynne
Customer Service Advisor
Royal Mail is a trading name of Royal Mail Group plc. Registered in
England and Wales. Registered number 4138203. Registered office at 148
Old
Street, LONDON EC1V 9HQ.

Mae'r Post Brenhinol yn un o enwau masnachu Grwp y Post Brenhinol ccc.
Cofrestrwyd yng Nghymru a Lloegr. Rhif cofrestredig 4138203. Swyddfa
gofrestredig 148 Old Street LLUNDAIN EC1V 9HQ.

WHOIS information for: liverpool-royalmail.com:
[whois.schlund.info]

% The data in the WHOIS database of 1&1 Internet AG is provided by
% 1&1 for information purposes, and to assist persons in obtaining
% information about or related to a domain name registration record.
% 1&1 does not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a WHOIS query,
% you agree that you will use this data only for lawful purposes and that,
% under no circumstances, you will use this data to
% (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission by e-mail,
% telephone, or facsimile of mass, unsolicited, commercial advertising or
% solicitations to entities other than the data recipient's own existing
% customers; or
% (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that send queries or
% data to the systems of any Registry Operator or ICANN-Accredited registrar,
% except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or modify existing
% registrations.
% 1&1 reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.
% By submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy.

domain: liverpool-royalmail.com
created: 05-Nov-2007
last-changed: 05-Nov-2007
registration-expiration: 05-Nov-2008

nserver: ns55.1und1.de
nserver: ns56.1und1.de

registrant-firstname: Gernot
registrant-lastname: Heine
registrant-street1: Brassertweg 14
registrant-pcode: 38228
registrant-city: Salzgitter
registrant-ccode: DE
registrant-phone: +49.5341550920
registrant-email: [email protected]

admin-c-firstname: Gernot
admin-c-lastname: Heine
admin-c-street1: Brassertweg 14
admin-c-pcode: 38228
admin-c-city: Salzgitter
admin-c-ccode: DE
admin-c-phone: +49.5341550920
admin-c-email: [email protected]

tech-c-firstname: Hostmaster
tech-c-lastname: EINSUNDEINS
tech-c-organization: 1&1 Internet AG
tech-c-street1: Brauerstr. 48
tech-c-pcode: 76135
tech-c-city: Karlsruhe
tech-c-ccode: DE
tech-c-phone: +49.7219137450
tech-c-fax: +49.7219137420
tech-c-email: [email protected]

bill-c-firstname: Hostmaster
bill-c-lastname: EINSUNDEINS
bill-c-organization: 1&1 Internet AG
bill-c-street1: Brauerstr. 48
bill-c-pcode: 76135
bill-c-city: Karlsruhe
bill-c-ccode: DE
bill-c-phone: +49.7219137450
bill-c-fax: +49.7219137420
bill-c-email: [email protected]

a macbook pro was posted on craigslist.org for only $1400 USD with the new CS3. yeah, i almost fell for it. here is the email i sent Royal Mail to report the scam, which explains it all...

Hello,
I'd like to report a fraud site that is posing as Royal Mail. Last
week I was considering purchasing a computer from Sean Barry in
Liverpool. I am in the United States. He said that we would use Royal
Mail for the mailing and transaction.

I received an email from [email protected] giving me a link and
a tracking number.
Tracking Number: AM236418273FR,
Link: http://www.royalmposte.com/transactionstrackpackage.html

The site was then shut down and I received another email from
[email protected] giving me new, updated links:

Dear Gina,
We want to inform you that we have updated our links.
In order to check your tracking number please access this link:
http://www.royalukposte.com/transactions/trackpackage.html
After you complete the payment send us the payment information using thislink:
http://www.royalukposte.com/transactions/Send Payment Info.htm
Thank you for using Royal Mail
Liverpool Depot
Southside, Speke
Liverpool
Merseyside
L24 1YD
United Kingdom
Customer Department
General Manager: Bill Claff

The names that have been mentioned in my emails and invoices are: Sean
Barry, Bill Claff, Garnet Walters, Richard McGregor.

They wanted me to send money by way of Western Union to:
First Name: Garnet
Last Name: Walters
Address: 7, Eden Close,
City / State: Liverpool/Merseyside
Zip(City Code): L33 4DD

Also, I'm not sure if this will help but this was the signature from
the guy I was "buying" the computer from:
Sean Barry
Aintree Complex, Alder Hey Hospital,
Eaton Rd, West Derby, Liverpool, Merseyside L12 2AP
United Kingdom
Ph: 0791304167

I have not made any payments to these people but would just like to
report to Royal Mail of this fraudulant situation so that other people
don't fall into their trap.

NOTE: there is only ONE TRUE ROYAL MAIL SITE which is www.royalmail.com . I've already contacted craigslist.org to have them remove the posting (which they did) and royal mail. I also tried to let Western Union know but they said that since I didn't send the money in, they can't do anything. So, if you have been scammed, let Western Union know. so please ignore anything that is not from www.royalmail.com. i.e. www.royalukposte.com and www.royalmposte.com and www.royalmailgroup.com

i also found this site that tells you which sites are fraudulant:http://db.aa419.org/fakebankslist.php

Last edited:
Hi guys. I am glad I found this forum. Check out the email I got from a guy about IMAC.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after.I have found a way for us to complete the deal fast (3 days) and easy. The solution is Royalmail. Royalmail is the UK's national mail carrier ( such as USPS in the United States) and they will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the items .With this process you will be able to check the items before I receive the payment.Let me know if you agree with this!
Here is a link where the process is described: http://www.royalmail-liverpooldepot.com/transactions/

Randy Nicholas
Aintree Complex, Longmoor Lane,
Liverpool, Merseyside L9 7LN
United Kingdom
Ph: 07031890636

////////////////////////////////////
Probably the Address is fake.
I went to the link provided and I found a misspelling error. I found it odd. Did some research and found you guys.

/////////////////////////////////////

Here is the WHOIS registrar info.

Domain: royalmail-liverpooldepot.com
Registration provider: CyberFrontier

Registrant
Domain Administrator
CyberFrontier Registry

Cyfro Associates Sdn Bhd3a-4-139 BJ Complex
Bayan Baru, Penang 11900 MY
+1.6046462019
(FAX)

Administrative
Domain Administrator
CyberFrontier Registry

+10.6046462019
(FAX)

Billing
Domain Administrator
CyberFrontier Registry

+10.6046462019
(FAX)

Technical
Domain Administrator
CyberFrontier Registry

+10.6046462019
(FAX)

Record created on July 10, 2008
Record last updated on July 10, 2008
Record expires on July 10, 2010

Domain Name Servers:
NS1.CYBERFRONTIER.INFO

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I still playing along!

Be aware.

Thanks,

MPA1204

I am so glad when I googled this guy's name, I found this site. As always, "if it looks too good to be true" it is! This guy is still hawking items at Craig's list:

Hello,

I still have the macbook pro. But the thing is that I'm in the U.K. for my school (I have the machine with me).

I hope you are still interested and we can make the deal happen right away.
Obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what
we are after.
I have found a way for us to complete the deal fast (3 days) and easy. The solution is a
worldwide delivery company called Royal mail. Royal mail is similar to FedEx, DHL or UPS and they will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the macbook pro.
With this procedure you will be able to check the macbook pro before I receive the payment.

Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the macbook pro right away.
Let me know what you think.

Thank you!

Sean Barry
Aintree Complex, Alder Hey Hospital,
Eaton Rd, West Derby, Liverpool, Merseyside L12 2AP
United Kingdom
Ph: 0791304167

Great site-thank you!

I was scammed the same way with the exact same words from Sean Barry aka whatever-source ad on Craigslist. Thank god I did one more check before going to Western Union. Very plausible and creepy. I wish there were some very harsh ways to get back at these people. I'm thinking about them. Anyone who wishes to contribute to retributive ideas let me know. Craigslist, Kijiji, and Ebay must ensure security but I guess we have to guard ourselves and if necessary take action-report to authorities and cyber methods of our own.
Colin

Hi, I am dealing with the scammer right now as a matter of fact. I love asking him questions and he's answering them all. I can't believe that he doesn't change his name. He's been telling me that he's a medical student in a Liverpool Tropical Disease University. I love using up his time and usually I post them for everyone to see on Craig's list but I think that these guys are a tremendous amount of fun. Next I'll tell him that my cousin can go and pick it up because he lives in Manchester which is just a half hour away from Liverpool....then he'll give me yet another excuse about having the computer in storage and costs..as the last guy did. I have also been encouraging people to contact the guy through Craig's list and sign him up for all sorts of emailing lists and lead him on just to waste his time.

I wonder how often he's successful. It must be pretty high if we're writing about him.

The Latest on the Royal Mail Scam
Hello everyone. On May 12th , Craigs list NJ advertised a Canon 5d Mark II for $1300.
I got a quick reply to my inquiry. The scammer now calls himself Adam Bain and he says that he is presently in Milano studying at the:
Politecnico di Milano
Campus Bovisa
Via La Masa 34,
20158 Milano Italy

[email protected]
Ph: 0039 348 212 0251
Naturally, I phoned the school and it was confirmed that no such person is, or ever was a student there.
I wrote back a polite letter explaining that the deal sounded too good to be true and why didn't he sell the camera in Milano where he could easily get 2500 Euro's. I signed my letter "Charles Ponzi".
Here is his reply:

Hey Charles,

Look I'm a serious person and I don't have time to play games with other person.
I'm fine at what stages I've arrived with my study and I will be a fool to risk my freedom for some money. I make the money not they make me!
Are you so sure that you will get 2500 euro for it here? Find me a buyer here and I will thank you forever.
Anyway let's get back to business. I will send you the receipt from the Royal Mail shipment. I think that this is the best prof that it's a real deal.
About the procedure, things are pretty simple. First I go to Royal Mail with the item and start the delivery procedure. After I give them the item for you, Royal Mail will send you a notification to let you know the process has been initiated, and that they have the item for you. Also, in the notification they will send you clear instructions on how to make the payment to Royal Mail, to the Royal Mail agent's name. After you complete your payment, then you will notify Royal Mail, they will collect the payment and once they have your payment, then they will deliver the item to you asap. Delivery time is 2 days. After you receive the item you will have 5 days (i think it's enough) to test it to see if it is as I said, also to see that everything is in good order and then if you are satisfied with the items, then you will instruct Royal Mail to release the payment.

I will support the shipping and handling charges that are almost $175.00 USD. And you will support the fee to send the money to the Royal Mail company. Fee that is almost $95.00 USD. So the total estimated price that you will pay for it is $1,395.00 USD.

So if you want to make this happen please provide me your full name and shipping address.

Thanks,
Adam

From an old Italian Proverb:
To have faith is good, but not to have faith is better.

Bogart

EVEN MORE ROYAL MAIL SCAM

THIS WAS HOW IT STARTED....

Flag this message
RE: 2 Bonnaroo Music Festival Tickets / RV Parking - $1 (nashville)Wednesday, June 3, 2009 4:37 PM
From: "Jessica J. Mitchell" <[email protected]>[/B]Add sender to Contacts
To:
Just to clarify, for $250 you will get 2 tickets (June 11-14) and rv pass.
As I've told you I could ship the tickets via overnight mail so you will get them in 24 hrs. The logistic solution is provided by royalmail, and it will handle the payment and delivery of the tickets.
Here is the procedure explained:
Web4Africa - Suspended account <---ACCOUNT COMES UP SUSPENDED NOW HA IMAGINE THAT!!
If you wish to proceed the next step would be for you to send me your delivery info I will make the delivery arrangements right away.
Jessica

Sending Date: Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Tracking (Consignment) Number: US811027329GB
Tracking Status: Pending

Dear Royal Mail Customer,

We have your package in our custody.

Description of goods: ( 2 ) Tickets to Bonnaroo Music Festival
Sender of package ( Seller ): Jessica J. Mitchell
Sender's Address: 110 Bath St, Glasgow, G2 2EN, Scotland, United Kingdom
Receiver of package ( Buyer ):
Receiver's Address: Same as Delivery Address
Royal Mail Parcel Content:

( 2 ) Tickets to Bonnaroo Music Festival
( 1 ) One Standard Car/Vehicle Parking Pass
Event Location & Date: June 11-14, 2009, Manchester, Tennessee
Seat Location: VIP

Delivery Address:

Address:
City / State: Franklin, TN
Zip(City Code): 37064
Delivery Type: Royal Mail Express SameDay Delivery
Signature: Not Required
Amount to be paid by the Buyer: US $250.00
ETA ( Estimated time of arrival) - Friday, June 5, 2009, 10:00 AM EDT if the payment is sent before 8:00 PM EDT on Thursday, June 4, 08:00 PM EDT, 2009. The ETA will be confirmed after the payment is received and verified by Royal Mail Payment Department.
Receiver of the Payment - Royal Mail Agent: Emily Martinson

The payment must be made through Western Union Money Transfer to the Name of the Royal Mail Agent who is in charge with this transaction - Emily Martinson - using the "Money in Minutes" Service from Western Union.

Instructions on how to fill out the Green "Money in Minutes" Form ( Be sure to ask for the green form )

Pay to: Royal Mail Agent's Name ( only First Name, Last Name: Emily Martinson )
Payout location: Glasgow, United Kingdom
Amount Transferred: US $250.00

Important Note: When you fill in the name of the receiver on the green Western Union " To Send Money Form " please be careful to write the name correctly and write only the name of the person who will receive the money. This is important because the information you write on the Western Union " To Send Money Form " will be filled in the Western Union database by the Western Union clerk and for the receiver to be able to pick up the funds from Western Union, the name of the receiver from the Western Union database must match the name on the receiver's ID Card.

Important Note: The Payment must be made at one of Western Union's Agent Locations, in person by the Buyer. The payment must not be made using Western Union's Send Money Online Service due to the high Credit Card fraud risk. We will not confirm any payments made by Credit Card, online or by phone.

After you complete the payment you need to send the Payment Information for verification to our Payment Department at their e-mail address:
Royal Mail OnLine Payment Service

The Payment Information that you need to send to us for verification are:

- MTCN ( Money Transfer Control Number ) - 10 digits number located on your payment receipt
- Sender's Name and Sender's Address
- Amount Transferred

Please read our Royal Mail Payment Privacy Policy to learn our payment release and payment refund conditions.

1. The Payment will be sent to the Seller by Royal Mail only after you receive the package, check the merchandise and if you are completely satisfied with it, you will then instruct us to release the Payment to the Seller.
2. Royal Mail acts as a third party holding at the same time the merchandise and the Payment.
3. After the merchandise is received by the Buyer, the Buyer will have up to 31 days depending on the nature of the merchandise to review the merchandise.
For transaction No. US811027329GB the inspection time is time is 15 ( fifteen ) business days.
a) If the Buyer decided to keep the merchandise the Buyer will instruct Royal Mail to release the funds to the Seller.
b) If for any reason the Buyer does not want to keep the merchandise, the Buyer will ask Royal Mail to be refunded.
The refund procedure is very simple, the Buyer will receive the money from Royal Mail through Bank to Bank Wire Transfer, or by Check or by Money Transfer. The refund method is at the Buyer's choice.

Richard McGregor - Royal Mail Customer Department
Royal Mail London Office
Address: 148 Old Street
London, EC1V 9HQ, United Kingdom
General Manager: James Ward
Email: Royal Mail OnLine Customer Service

AND THIS WAS HOW IT ENDED

Would you like to explain this?

https://www.wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=100079

Subject: Re: Apple Ibook G4, $300
To: me
Date: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 10:19 AM

Hey, The laptos is still available.
Everything works perfectly. It is wireless capable and ready for you to
surf the web. The exterior case is in very god condition. There are a
few scuffs to the exterior, as expected with a pre-used laptop, but no
deep gouges, cracks, or writing on the exterior. The LCD screen,
touchpad and keyboard are all in good condition also. A power supply /
AC adapter and good battery are included. The battery will last for over
5 hours! But actual hours will depend on what you do with it.

(Here comes the scam)
I'm in London till after Christmas and since we can't meet I have found a way
for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and this way you will
receive the ibook in less than 2 days, if you move fast as well. The
solution is provided by DHL UK, and it will handle the payment and
delivery of the ibook. It will allow me to receive the payment for
ibook only after you will receive it and test it. Price is $300
including shipping. Hopefully we can work something out.
Jessica

ME.... Well I use PayPAl. I got scammed once.. And they took care of it. Granted it takes a while but in the end I got my money back and all was well. MY father lost nearly 1300 years ago when ebay was just taking off. I feel for those who lose out and its just wrong and sucks. Im sorry mate....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back