EOS 90D Camera sounds when using electronic shutter

Moglex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently upgraded to an EOS 90D specifically so that I could use the electronic shutter, and thus not have to worry about shutter life when doing focus stacks.

I am rather alarmed to discover that there is a very definite clicking coming from the camera when it is in electronic shutter mode - sounds somewhat like the shutter operating but significantly quieter.

I get exactly the same sound when not in view mode with mirror lock-up.

It's definitely not focusing of aperture activity of IS.

Does anyone have any idea what the sound may be? Obviously doing focus stacks can wear a shutter - or indeed anything mechanical - out pretty quickly if you do it a lot.

Lens diaphragm closing down???

Can that camera be triggered without a lens on, see if it makes the same sound? Even if it requires a body cap?

That's what I thought as well. Aperture usually at wide open position before hitting the shutter button.
Would auto exposure lock prevent that? Might be another way to test.

Correct me if I am wrong, I think it is related to getting more light to the system so that the viewfinder is brighter and more light helps the focus system. So with or without the exposure lock, the lens should be wide open and stop down if needed when photo is taken.

That's what I thought as well. Aperture usually at wide open position before hitting the shutter button.

Correct me if I am wrong, I think it is related to getting more light to the system so that the viewfinder is brighter and more light helps the focus system. So with or without the exposure lock, the lens should be wide open and stop down if needed when photo is taken.
Could be.

On my 77D there's a button for the left hand, low next to the lens mount, that triggers the aperture for a sort of in-viewfinder preview. I've just tested with my camera and with the 10-22mm lens attached I can hear the aperture when I press that button. I know it's neither the shutter nor the AF motor.

So I imagine that if pressing this button on the 90D, assuming it's so-equipped, results in the same sound, then it's one way of confirming if it's the aperture making the sound versus something else unknown.

I am pretty sure that the auto exposure lock allows the diaphragm to open back up to wide open and only holds the meter reading in memory. The exposure lock button does not stop The Lens down.

Is it possible that the sound is to alert you that a photo has been taken? Is it possible that you can turn the sound off? Is there a section in the camera user manual that relates to using the electronic shutter that might tell you what this sound is?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back